The Amphitheatre: hotspot for theft

27 Sep 2007 01:13 #67098 by intrepid
A large volume of hikers visit the top...

Troubled for many years, The Amphitheatre is probably the No. 1 hot spot for petty theft on the escarpment. The perpetrators are very aware of the habits of hikers in this area and have over many years persistently been stealing whateverthey can get their hands on: hiking boots and entire backpacks being first prize. 

Read more...

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2009 14:40 #693 by gollum
Is it safe to leave your car at Sentinel Car Park overnight? Has anyone here ever done this?

More
12 Oct 2009 16:29 #695 by fatshark
Many times. Most recent was July this year, on a weekend. Never had any issues... have you heard any stories of theft, or is it just a precautionary enquiry?

More
12 Oct 2009 16:45 #696 by Stijn
I've also never had or heard of any problems. Do yourself a favour and stay in the hut there - best deal in the Berg @ R15 per night!

More
12 Oct 2009 23:18 - 15 Oct 2009 16:00 #697 by intrepid
Yup, agree with Stijn, the hut is good value for money!

I have not heard of any problems at the car park either, and have left cars there on many occasions. It is fenced off and locked at night. A gaurd is usually stationed there 24 hours (though I've heard the occasional story where people did not find the guard there).

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2009 16:00 by domsmooth.

More
13 Oct 2009 15:23 #699 by gollum
Thanks all!

@fatshark: Just a precautionary enquiry, haven't heard of any incidents.

@stijn: Thanks, will certainly do so! Cheaper to stay in a furnished hut than managing your own accommodation in the wild lol!!

@intrepid: Sorry for my non-participation in the site testing :( I could say the past month was hectic, but that is no excuse to spare 15 mins every second day, so neglect and laziness on my part would be the main cause.

More
07 Jun 2011 08:45 #3051 by renebur
Greatings all mountains lovers
Next weekend we doing Sentinel,chain ladders area.We is me and my son(11 years).Just want to know what will be safer for us in terms of spending two nights in this area.Should we make use of the cave or sleep in the tent?Is there a lots of tourists this time of the year?

More
07 Jun 2011 16:22 #3057 by anthony
renebur welcome ,glad to see you are involving your son at an early age.
Just bear in mind that it is winter and taking your son up in the mountains one must be very prepared at this time of year, no matter if you decide to take a tent or stay in the cave, i always have a tent with me you never know what the weather will do.

As from a security issue it is a long weekend so one must be on extra guard,but been winter the risk is definitely less, in my opinion ,i always remain polite and friendly when i encounter locals.i am also sure you will see other people up there too if you do, just ask if they don't mind if you camp close bye the more eyes and ears the better.

The other thing is that the cave is not far of the main path and should there be locals using the path and seeking shelter you might find that you will have guests.
The following user(s) said Thank You: renebur

More
07 Jun 2011 17:51 #3058 by renebur
Thanks Anthony for your advise.I think we are well prepared for this trip even though we already learned you never know what the mountains will throw at you.But that's part of the excitment isn't it.I will definetly take your advise and look for somebody else to camp nearby.It is sad that we have to worry about things like that in this country and for me it is worse due to the fact that i travel with a kid.We didnt have any bad experience with other people in the mountains yet but you never know.Thanks again for your advise and concern.Rene

More
09 Jun 2011 07:14 #3092 by Digz
@renebur...let us know what the vibe is. I have 2 kids 10 and 12 and want to take them up there as well soon.

You can't let fear stand in the way of a first time Amphitheatre trip. Just a thought and I might start a new post for this, perhaps Intrepid can comment...why don't we (members of the forum) that have got children ages 8 to 15 (or omething like that), plan a berg trip...specifically for kids?

More