Dog attacks

06 Jun 2022 14:55 - 06 Jun 2022 15:42 #77762 by BergAttie
Dog attacks was created by BergAttie
I will inadvertently be solo running/hiking in the next two weeks between Ndumeni and Champagne Castle as part of DGTR preparation and route scouting. I specifically want to scout Yodlers cascade valley and not go over Didima Buttress. I heard that there has been dog attack incidents in this valley. Being in a group is better but alone I am nervous.

Does anybody have knowledge about this? Any recent issues? More in general - is there any hotspots along the Berg? I heard the area South of Giants has had incidents as well but could not verify this? 
Last edit: 06 Jun 2022 15:42 by BergAttie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2022 15:51 - 14 Jun 2022 07:54 #77764 by firephish
Replied by firephish on topic Dog attacks
Wherever there are shepherds you will find dogs, higher the density of shepherds/kraals means higher density of dogs. This time of year most shepherds will have dropped down to the lower valleys, so i would not expect to find many shepherds or dogs there.

General observation on dogs, during the day they are not much of an issue. Try to keep away from kraals (which is where the dogs are). if you do encounter them, most often shepherd will call them off, if shepherd is not around and they approach aggressively just picking up a stone (or pretending to pickup a stone) will send them scuttling away. If you still uncomfortable carry pepper spray.

At night is a different story, if you afraid of dogs, don't hike the valleys in summer in the dark.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2022 07:54 by firephish.

More
06 Jun 2022 16:23 #77766 by DeonS
Replied by DeonS on topic Dog attacks
We had encountered some dogs and a Shepard on out Northern Traverse early April - they were quite aggressive but the shepard called them back. This happened on the path just before Rwanqa Pass. Have been wondering how effective pepper spray will be in cases like this - usually just ignoring them works but this time they were quite aggressive. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: BergAttie, RobD

More
13 Jun 2022 11:10 #77775 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Dog attacks
They normally respond quite well to having stones thrown at them. Even just bending down and pretending to pick up a stone is very effective against them. Have seen a couple of shepherds use both techniques against dogs with a 100% success rate.

However, if you are alone and encounter a pack at night then you need to know how to handle aggressive dogs. In a pack, they are definitely braver than when they are alone. Pepper spray is definitely effective, but don't get the mist type (the wind can blow it into your face), it needs to spray a controlled stream, and the further it can travel, the better. Also, don't wait for the situation to escalate, the earlier you can intimidate and chase them off, the better. So throw a stone or make as if if you are throwing a stone, and if that doesn't work, spray the biggest/most aggressive dog/s in the pack. Don't turn your back on them, if you have to retreat do so facing them. Make yourself appear bigger, i.e. raise your arms, shout at them etc. 

Best though is not to get into such a situation so plan your route to avoid dogs, but if you encounter them, do not show fear. Do not let them get behind you (easier said than done if you are alone). Quite often dogs attack when they are surprised (i.e. you come upon them suddenly and unexpectantly). I've had this happen a few times. If you are in their territory (i.e. near a kraal), retreat slowly, facing them. If out in the open and they have nothing to defend (like a kraal, or food etc.) I normally just stood still, facing them, and within a short period of time they would stop growling and walk off. It's often a bit intimidating, and often a war of nerves which you can easily win when knowing what to do. Remember, the risk is quite high if a stray dog bites you - they might even have rabies, so I would avoid getting bitten like the plague.

Assess the situation and take appropriate action. Above is how I would approach it, but your situation might be entirely different, so don't take my advice as a recommendation, take it as information that you need to apply to your own unique set of circumstances.

Whatever you do in the berg, enjoy and stay safe!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeonS, BergAttie

More