Books we love!

08 Nov 2011 07:01 #4641 by ClimbyKel
Books we love! was created by ClimbyKel
I'm always looking for new Berg, climbing, or mountaineering books for my hubby "Intrepid". His birthday and Christmas are both in December, so it's a great opportunity to spoil him, and add to a collection of books about our sport, or about the great outdoors (in particular the "Berg")! This got me thinking....
What are your favorite climbing, mountaineering, Berg, or hiking books (both non-ficton and fiction). Let's share our favorite titles with each other.
Also, if anyone has interest in selling or swaping books that you've already exhausted, please post books that you would be willing to swap or sell to other VE members.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2011 08:10 #4643 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Re: Books we love!
Nice topic ClimbyKel. I could actually use some advice here, I am planning on buying a Berg book, but I'm not sure which one between the following (sadly my budget doesn't yet allow for them all):
- Barrier of Spears
- Encounters with the Dragon
- Camera in Quathlamba
- Dragon's Wrath
- Serpant Spires

I am largely looking for a picture book with some info, not an info book with some pictures...

More
08 Nov 2011 09:39 #4646 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Re: Books we love!
Yes, great topic ClimbyKel.

I would suggest looking on bookseller websites for available 'berg and mountaineering/climbing books, it's amazing what you can find. I have a collection of about 50 'berg books, with the more recent additions assembled in this way. Most sites have a search facility and 'drakensberg' will get you started, or the author and/or title of a specific book etc.

New books are available on SA websites such as netbooks, incredible books, loot, pricecheck etc, but there are also older used and out of print books available on websites such as bidorbuy or sabda. I have also found two European websites, www.abebooks.com and www.bookfinder.com extremely useful for older books. Just beware of comparing overseas prices with local sites prices as SARS charge an inspection fee of R15.00 and charge VAT (payable on collection at the post office) on overseas deliveries, although often you are lucky and your book slips through unnoticed. These websites also have a useful facility where you can look up 'booksellers' and check all the available books these sellers have. QuathlambaWinds, Chapter1 and chaptertwo have a lot of 'berg books, the latter two being local SA sellers.

@Ghaznavid, I have all the books you are interested in, and would recommend John Hone's Encounters with the Dragon, as a 'picture book with some info',although it's probably also the most expensive on your list. M. Pearse's A Camera in Quathlamba is now old (although still an excellent book) with only black and white photos, and the photos largely illustrate the text, while R.O. Pearse's Barrier of Spears and Dragon's Wrath are excellent info books with some pictures and also old, although both have been revised and updated. Souchon's Serpant Spires is modern but with more emphasis on climbing.

More
08 Nov 2011 09:44 #4647 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Re: Books we love!
I can recommend "Catching the Light". Superb photography!

More
08 Nov 2011 10:12 #4648 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Re: Books we love!
Oh yes, esteemed VE colleague ST's book is superb and highly recommended, but apparently not available in Ghaznavid's bookshop.

More
08 Nov 2011 10:37 #4649 by Boerkie
Replied by Boerkie on topic Re: Books we love!
Okay so please nobody PM Intrepid and spoil the surprise that he is getting book for Christmas :thumbsup:

More
08 Nov 2011 14:11 #4652 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Re: Books we love!
Cool, Encounters with the Dragon was my number 1 option so I'll get that (once my exams results are out and confirm that I passed honours...)

I am aware of ST's book and would really like to get it, but it is out of my current price bracket, I should be able to get it in the near future though (due to post exam improving finances)...

More
08 Nov 2011 23:20 - 08 Nov 2011 23:27 #4656 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Re: Books we love!
I have just recently purchased 'A Cradle of Rivers' - David A Dodds - 1978 (R344) and a mint condition signed, by the author and his father (RO Pearse) 'A Camera in Quathlamba' - 1980 (R1014). I mention the prices only as an indication of what one would pay for these out of date prints, not to show off what I am prepared to pay for a book ;) .

The irony is, that the Quathlamba book had to be posted to oz from South Africa for half the price mentioned (I got it from Christison Rare Books). Had i got it while still there last year i would have saved 50%, so look local first. There are still a few of these books around, although mostly overseas.

The others I have are in order of purchase starting in about 93':

Drakensberg Walks - David Bristow
A Field Guide to the Natal Drakensberg - Dave and Pat Irwin
Barrier of Spears - The AP edition
Encounters with the Dragon - John Hone

I do wish that I could get my book published through a sa publisher which would half the price and make it accessible to the greater public, and hey i might even then get some money out of it. By the way, it is now available as a ebook for iphone and ipad on the blurb site for about R14.
Last edit: 08 Nov 2011 23:27 by Serious tribe.

More
09 Nov 2011 06:48 #4662 by ClimbyKel
Replied by ClimbyKel on topic Re: Books we love!
haha...he's getting books for his birthday actually...and it's not much of a surprise to keep when it happens every year!

More
09 Nov 2011 06:55 #4663 by ClimbyKel
Replied by ClimbyKel on topic Re: Books we love!
Well, one of our members, Karl Beath has just published his own beautiful coffee table book, as toast to his affairs with the Berg. I do not think it is available to purchase in stores, but we saw some of the photos online....really fantastic! And of course "Encounters with the Dragon" is one of the most current classics, authored and photos by John Hone. I have a special place for this book in my heart, not only because of John's spectacular shots of the Berg, but also because of he and his wife Barbara's very captivating and sweet nature. We met them on a few occasions, and they are quite dear to us. John is battling health issues currently, so he is in our prayers! We are waiting for his recovery...and a new book?

More