Books we love!

09 Nov 2011 06:59 #4664 by ClimbyKel
Replied by ClimbyKel on topic Re: Books we love!
Oh I see that "Serious Tribe" (Karl) has posted some info on how to purchase his book for ipad on blurb!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2011 12:23 #4677 by mykitchin
Replied by mykitchin on topic Re: Books we love!
Andy de Klerk's "Sharper Edges" is a great collection of his writing on his numerous exploits on mountains around the globe, as well as in his native Western Cape. His writing is both contemplative and sensitive, with a raw edge. And it has some great photos and sketches!

More
16 Nov 2011 18:25 #4870 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Re: Books we love!
Just bought Encounters with the Dragon today - the book seems to be mainly on the northern berg, maybe that comment yesterday about the unnamed peaks of the north berg being safe is not correct :)

On the topic of Roland's Cave, that route to the cave from the escarpment looks so exposed, I see why you have all been saying that our friendly neighbours don't attack people in this cave...

More
16 Nov 2011 20:10 #4875 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Re: Books we love!
Enjoy the reading, it's a fantastic book. :thumbsup:

More
29 Nov 2011 04:16 - 29 Nov 2011 21:12 #5020 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Re: Books we love!
:thumbsup:
Last edit: 29 Nov 2011 21:12 by Serious tribe.

More
09 Jan 2012 18:46 - 09 Jan 2012 18:47 #5237 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Re: Books we love!
I got my very own copy of ST's "Catching the Light" for Christmas - really cool. I had seen it online before and getting the paper copy was no dissapointment. Shots of the wildlife are among the best I've seen and the vulture shots are definitely the best I have seen so far. I also enjoy the double spreads and colours throughout the book. Not just good photography but some really good photographic art in there too. A feast for the eyes.

On mountain books in general I highly recommend "Mountaineering - The Freedom of the Hills". It is THE most comprehensive reference book on mountaineering that I have ever seen, covering everything relating to the sport: hiking, rock climbing, alpine climbing, ice climbing, mixed climbing, glacier crossings, gear, ethics, planning, geology, weather - the list goes on. Has tonnes of illustrations, considerable detail, and is compiled and edited by a team of leading mountaineers, and periodically updated. I've just been graciously upgraded to the latest, 8th edition. I spend a lot of time reading and re-reading it. If you are serious about what you do in the mountains, and especially if you trad and alpine climb, do yourself a favour and get yourself a copy.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2012 18:47 by intrepid.

More
16 Jan 2012 17:47 #5285 by anthony
Replied by anthony on topic Re: Books we love!
Some of my favorite books with hard core mountaineering.

NO SHORT CUT TO THE TOP - ED VIESTURS
K2 - ED VIESTURS
THE CLIMB UP TO HELL - JACK OLSEN
PATHS OF GLORY - JEFFERY ARCHER
;) :thumbsup:

More
26 Jun 2012 16:52 #54533 by john mark 1
Replied by john mark 1 on topic Re: Books we love!
Found an ancient copy of "Dragon's Wrath" by R. Pearse in the library this morning... just finished reading the last page now :woohoo: (On holiday today :) ) Really enjoyed it! Was fantastic to read what George Thomson climbed (the first couple solo and ropeless :dry: ) as well as the daring insanity of others. Man, now I need to get hold of some similar books... and head off to the berg.

More
13 Jul 2012 14:47 #54633 by ghaznavid
Just got a copy of Reinhold Messner's book "The Naked Mountain", started reading it and had look through it, it seems to be a really good book, lots of photos and good quality print...

More
25 Jul 2012 19:09 #54704 by ghaznavid
Just finished reading Naked Mountain:

Its an amazing story. Its crazy, Reinhold and Gunter Messner spent a night in the open at 8000m with only a space blanket, no sleeping bags, ground mats or anything.

It seems that to this day, only the Messner brothers have ever climbed the entirety of the Merkyl Coulier. Both soloed it, and Gunter managed to do the entire coulier in 4 hours - insane for a 800m extreme climb at over 7000m...

The book is not very well edited, it has spelling and grammar errors, but if you look past these minor issues, it is really worth a read, even to people like me who don't rock climb.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More