Hiking pants

26 Mar 2012 14:30 #53300 by DubbelBuys
Replied by DubbelBuys on topic Re: Hiking pants
I was lucky to buy a pair of Cape Storms at our local trappers store. Those are 2 sizes bigger than I usually wear, but that's sorted with a bit of needlework. At least the legs will have more room too. I always struggle when buying pants, whether it's for work or casual wear.

I got it for R300!!!

Hoping to try these out this coming weekend. Doing a 7 day hike from the chain ladders to Gian'ts Castle / down either Langalibalele or Giant's pass!!!

First REAL hike of this year- woohoo!!! :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2012 07:51 #53310 by diverian
Replied by diverian on topic Re: Hiking pants
Bought a pair of Mr Price trailpants and used them on a 5 day hike last weekend and they were perfect,as good as the FA and cape Storm pants I own. They are light weight nylon and dried extremely quickly and stood up well to some serious bundu bashing on the Eastmans Ridge contour path and some bum sliding on Tlanyaku Pass ...... and the best part was the price R99.00 unfortunately there was only 1 pair in my size.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ruthtbl

More
21 Nov 2013 13:22 #59074 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Re: Hiking pants
So after my R600 FA pants lasted about 1 year before they developed a massive hole in the back I finally decided to give Mr Price a go.

The FA pants dry very fast, are quite light and for the most part are good, just you expect to get more than a year out of a R600 pair of pants.

So I bought a pair of Mr Price Trail Tek pants, they were marked at R300 and (as I seem to always experience at Mr Price) they charged me R200 for the pants instead. I can't remember actually ever buying something there with the correct price being marked on the item, but seeing as its always cheaper than marked, I'm not complaining B)

Any way - I'll give a report back when I have used them (hopefully next weekend). But they weigh about 250g, are very thin, have only 1 zip up pocket (but you will sit on what ever you put in this pocket, so that doesn't help much) and they are convertible to shorts. The fabric fees like it will dry fast and is marked as SPF-50. They are also tightened by a thin flat string (as opposed to those horrible belts that most trail pants use).
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruthtbl

More
21 Nov 2013 18:13 #59075 by Guardian
Replied by Guardian on topic Hiking pants
I have to say, I am also a little disappointed with the FA R600+ pants.
I bought a pair in 2010, which I took to Europe for a cycle tour, They were the only pants I had and lasted me 90 days through any conditions, Back home I kept on using them as my climbing and Berg pants after which they finally started to develop holes after 2 years.
They are amazing pants. Really well designed.
So I bought another pair, and they've also only really lasted me a year as my "outdoor pants" The zips one both sides started tearing off, theres a massive hole in front and the back pocket came lose. The material of the newer pants definitely feels different and cheaper than the 2010 pair and I have a suspicion FA is skipping a bit on quality with it's new found success. I remember the 2010 pair made a loud noise if I walked as the new material was very durable, it went away after a while, but the newer ones felt more like plain faric.

Id much rather buy two Mr price pants in future before another R800 pair that only lasts a year. (A very comfortable year admittedly, only the quality lacks)

More
22 Nov 2013 09:24 #59080 by Josh of the Bushveld
Replied by Josh of the Bushveld on topic Hiking pants
I've had a pair of FA pants since 2007. I'm not using them at the moment because one of the shorts zips needs to be repaired. They've lasted me really well. FA did a repair for free when the stitching in the crotch came out. Otherwise they're going strong. I'm onto my second pair of FAs and I love them. They're the most comfortable and have good pockets, and I find them very durable.

I also have a pair of North Face trousers which are very similar (picked up on sale overseas). They're not quite as comfortable as the FAs (have a drawstring instead of the built-in webbing belt).

I also have a pair of Mr Price Trek trousers, pretty happy with them, especially since I picked them up for R180 a few months ago. I generally use them on day hikes. Also no built-in belt which can be a problem. Also, they have drawstrings in the bottom hem instead of zips going up the side, so a bit more difficult to put shorts on or off while wearing boots.

More
23 Nov 2013 05:11 #59085 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Hiking pants
I may as well add my 2 cents worth seeing as my cat just woke me up by chasing a bird around my room. Luckily I managed to let it out via our balcony door before it got hurt!

I also have few pairs of North Face convertables and they are very good pants but I agree with Ghaz that the material is a bit too hard and I tend to overheat in them.

I recently bought some Columbia pants because they are made from a lighter and softer feeling fabric (more like parachute material). After a couple of hikes I can report that they are very comfortable, functional and show no signs of ware or damage. Overall they seem fair value too even at their full retail price of R 700.

More
07 Dec 2013 07:09 #59191 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Hiking pants
Those Mr Price pants are so much more comfortable, lighter and quick drying than my old FA pants.

I will probably go and get myself a few more pairs ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guardian

More