Sleeping bag - down refill

19 Aug 2018 07:27 #73847 by ryan.karate
Anyone have some good advice about who/where could help me revive an old’ish capestorm sleeping bag. 

Very little/no down left in the high wear and tear areas - heels,knees,bum and elbow panels. 

Thanks in advance. Ryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2018 21:04 #73849 by Papa Dragon
Ryan,

I would start here:   www.makoti.co.za/cleaning-remaking-filling-services

Haven't used their refilling services, but have bought down from them on a few occasions, good service and easy to deal with.

More
20 Aug 2018 13:49 #73852 by Serious tribe
May I please use this thread to ask a question on down bags and jackets instead of creating a new one.

Where can i get down bags and jackets professionally cleaned in Durban?

Thanks

More
21 Aug 2018 18:27 - 22 Aug 2018 07:16 #73854 by pandaling
I can't answer your question, but I washed my down jacket myself last time using Nikwax down wash and then nikwax down proof.

It was terrifying when I took it out soaking wet (careful not to tear the baffles), but actually worked perfectly. 

Top left = before, top right = during, bottom = after. 

I washed on a very gentle cycle with the down wash, then did another cycle with the down proof, then put it in a tumble dryer with two tennis balls.
The only thing I had to do was occasionally pause the cycle to take the tennis balls out of the sleeves when I heard the machine go quiet (but eventually solved that by tying the end of the sleeves up and zipping the jacket up).

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 22 Aug 2018 07:16 by JonWells. Reason: Pic embedded

More
21 Aug 2018 21:13 #73855 by Papa Dragon

pandaling wrote: I can't answer your question, but I washed my down jacket myself last time using Nikwax down wash and then nikwax down proof.

It was terrifying when I took it out soaking wet (careful not to tear the baffles), but actually worked perfectly. 

Top left = before, top right = during, bottom = after. 

I washed on a very gentle cycle with the down wash, then did another cycle with the down proof, then put it in a tumble dryer with two tennis balls.
The only thing I had to do was occasionally pause the cycle to take the tennis balls out of the sleeves when I heard the machine go quiet (but eventually solved that by tying the end of the sleeves up and zipping the jacket up).

I was going to suggest the DIY route, pandaling and ST.

I don't know of anyone that I would trust my down stuff with, but when the time comes, I will do as pandaling recommends, except will do by hand and tumble dryer.

Good luck ST, and please share the outcome whatever you do..

More
22 Aug 2018 05:34 #73856 by Serious tribe
Hi guys

Yes i have used that route b4...when i owned a tumble dryer.  Sadly we don't own a tumble dryer now otherwise I would have risked doing it again.  Mmmm.  I also wouldn't trust it to commercial operators unless they came with fool proof guarantee and good references.

More
20 Jan 2019 19:15 #74567 by Papa Dragon
Hi all

So after a couple of years, and a good bit of use, this bag was looking quite grubby,,
www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/44-gear/3782-home-made-gear.html?start=60#65989
The light colour doesn't help at all.

I washed it today, using Nikwax Down Wash. The process wasn't nearlay as daunting as anticipated, but bear in mind, this is a very light bag, with only 350g of down.

I used 200g of Nikwax down wash in 24l of fairly warm water. (The label says hand hot}. 
Put all into the bath, and pushed the bag under to wet it, which takes a bit more doing than one would think.
Left it to soak for abot 20 minutes, while I went to buy some tennis balls. When I got back, I sort of agitated it/hand scrubbed it in the water.
Pulled out the plug, and hand wrung as much water as possible, rinsed twice, then onto the windy drier for about 30 minutes.

Then into drier with 3 tennis balls. Has been in the drier for 270 minutes so far, and has about 70g of water to lose according to weight. (I suggest weigh it before you wash it, because it starts to feel dry before it actually is. Possibly a couple of grams lighter when completely dry, due to removed dirt, and miniscule down loss).

This is a very light bag, so heavier bags will take longer.
Next time (winter bag and down jacket) I will spin in the machine before tumble drying, this will definitely cut down on the time.
The bag has lofted beautifully, and feels loftier than when new..
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonWells, firephish, GetaPix, Grandeur, Captain, andrew r, Andreas, Dave, GriffBaker

More