General help for overseas visitors to the Berg

30 May 2016 15:56 #68592 by mayake
Sorry for the French "Content de te voir de retour et qu'il n'y ait pas trop eu de mesaventures. Je viens rapidement de voir ton blog. Beau ton Maroc."
Happy to read some good news despite all that happened. I'm just coming from your blog that I'll read fully later. Nice picts your Marrocco trip.
Cordially,
J.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2017 12:39 - 05 Dec 2017 12:42 #72452 by Theo1
Hello,

I'm excited to be flying to Durban tonight from the UK to spend two weeks hiking in the Drakensberg. I'm planning to set out from Sentinel Car Park and walk south. I have six of the 1:50,000 maps published by KZN Wildlife, covering the area from Sentinel south to Bushman's Nek.

I don't know how far I will get in fourteen days; but in the event that I reach Bushman's Nek with time to spare - does anyone have any advice on where to go next? I wondered about continuing south-west along the Great Escarpment, or cutting west into Lesotho.

Also, is there a good map shop in Durban? And is it possible to buy walking maps of Lesotho, and the mountains south of Bushman's Nek?

This is very last-minute, but if anyone sees this post in the next day or so, I would be very grateful indeed for your advice.

With thanks,
Theo
Last edit: 05 Dec 2017 12:42 by Theo1.

More
06 Dec 2017 10:50 #72458 by AndrewP
Hello Theo

If you pm me your email address, I can give you a map for a garmin gps covering the whole traverse and enough of Lesotho and the area south of Bushmans Neck to keep you busy for years.

There are no dedicated paper hiking maps for south of bushmans neck nor of lesotho. You can get goverment survey 1:50000 maps which are plenty good enough. There is a place in Pietetmaritzberg that sells these. My experience is that they are too slow for your purpose, as they seem to need a one day leadtime to print the maps.

My suggestion to extend the trip if you have time is as follows:
The second last ridge you cross before dropping off the escarpment will have a peak called Mashai on it, on the border. Follow this ridge into Lesotho and southwards when it curbes south, it has multiple peaks of 3400m+ on it. You can return to escarpment and your descent route easily enough.

Otherwise, take detours along the way. If you accidentally bite if more than you can chew, it is much easier to finish at say Sani Pass than to come down off the mountains south of Bushmans Neck.

More
27 Sep 2018 20:04 #74045 by michal
Hi everyone!
We are two moderately experienced hikers, looking to do a beautiful three days hike somewhere (anywhere) in Drakensberg mountains.
Since its our first time to the Berg (we are not south africans) we would be greatful for any recommendations.
We have all the basic equipment for sleeping outdoors (tent, inflatable matresses, sleeping band etc.), and we are quite flexible regarding the destination (northern/central/southern Berg).
Thank you for your help.
Uria&Michal

More
28 Sep 2018 07:26 #74046 by firephish
There are many options, but I would do the Mnweni / Rockeries loop. Not too long, great scenery, easy navigation even with mist / adverse weather, and can have hot shower / sleep over at the end if desired:

Day 1 Mnweni Cultural Center -> ChiChi Bush Camp
Day 2 Up Mnweni Pass can tent at top or sleep in Ledgers /  mponjwane cave
Day 3 Down Rockaries pass -> Mnweni Cultural Center

More
28 Sep 2018 08:15 #74047 by michal
Hi!
thank you for the recommendation. is there any place we can find more information regarding the trail? is there a GPS app that has this trial marked?

thanks again!

More
28 Sep 2018 08:32 #74048 by firephish
there are a number of threads on this route on this site, here is one:

www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/drakensberg-trips/55450-mnweni-pass-to-rockeries-pass-round-trip.html#58709

You will find a GPS track in the downloads section.

More
28 Sep 2018 09:18 #74049 by Viking
Hi Michal and Uria 

There are many great loops you could do in the Drakensberg and this site is full of suggestions if you are willing to do some searching.

I would just offer a word of caution.. This is not Europe with marked trails and signposts.. Most of the Drakensberg is a Wilderness area and sometimes the trails on the map are not where they say they are and others don't even exist.. Familiarise yourself well with the local map before you set off and then enjoy the experience.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More