Organ pipes and bell traverse

Today 11:30 #80500 by Ralph
Hello fellow hikers

I will be heading to the Cathedral peak area for my first time next week, I'm asking for some much needed advice from the experts as I've never been to this section of the berg before.

My plan is for a 3 day 2 night circular route from cathedral peak up organ pipes or the camel to camp the 1st night in 1 of the many caves around rolands cave or on the flat section to the right of castle rock at the base of cleft peak. Day 2 will start with a summit of cleft peak before making my way to twins cave area for camp. the final day will be a decent of the bell traverse back to the hotel.

My questions..
1. I'm terms of scenery which pass would be the best to get to my overnight spot. I know camel is the shortest option but I don't mind some extra miles if organ pipes will be more scenic?

2. I know Roland's cave is a popular choice and might be taken I also don't fancy a late afternoon slog up to the Ndumeni dome caves. Would the flat area on the right of castle rock be a safe spot to overnight ?

3. I plan on spending my second night in twins cave much like rolands cave if it is taken where would be the best spot to wild camp in that area of the escarpment?

Any recommendations to improve my route are welcome would really like to see as much as possible in the time I haveĀ 

Thanks in advanceĀ 
Ralph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Today 14:25 #80501 by Smurfatefrog
Hi Ralph, enjoy, its an amazing route!

See answers below

1. I'm terms of scenery which pass would be the best to get to my overnight spot. I know camel is the shortest option but I don't mind some extra miles if organ pipes will be more scenic?
If you're leaving from the hotel then I'd say Camel is more scenic and fun

2. I know Roland's cave is a popular choice and might be taken I also don't fancy a late afternoon slog up to the Ndumeni dome caves. Would the flat area on the right of castle rock be a safe spot to overnight ?
Yup, around the corner to the north of the top of the passes

3. I plan on spending my second night in twins cave much like rolands cave if it is taken where would be the best spot to wild camp in that area of the escarpment?
There is also Twins Annex, Billy and Easter caves in the area, but there is a nice spot at the river before you head up the top of Mlambonja pass
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ralph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Powered by Kunena Forum