In Memory of Jack Botha

16 Sep 2011 08:05 #4041 by Vertical Endeavour

At the age of 98, Jack Botha passed away peacefully, and I doubt whether many of his contemporaries are still around to do justice in honouring this great South African climbing legend.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2011 11:35 #4042 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic In Memory of Jack Botha
Certainly a quiet man of whom we know very little. Only a few references to "Jackie Botha" who was part of climbing parties in Barrier of Spears. That he in fact was the first to climb Mponj, and solo at that, is new to me. A remarkable achievement! And probably anyone who has climbed at Mhlabatini, knows Straight Edge!

We do not have many of these early climbing pioneers left, who are still with us on this earth.

Here's to you Jack Botha! :thumbsup:

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
16 Sep 2011 12:30 #4043 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Re: In Memory of Jack Botha
Very interesting that he made the first ascent of Mponj. Was it the standard route I wonder? You think he'd left rap slings behind which the next party would have seen. Unless he downclimbed too. Don't fancy that on Mponj.

More
19 Sep 2011 07:53 #4050 by intrepid
I'm also curious about his ascent of Mponj. Will try find out more. Here is another obituary:
www.timeslive.co.za/opinion/commentary/2011/09/18/obituary-jack-botha-sports-writer-and-sportsman
61 years of being a sports writer for Sunday Times!

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More