Inner Peek at the climbing history of Inner Tower

07 Apr 2017 12:08 - 07 Apr 2017 12:19 #71309 by Viking
Is that the Inner Tower gully - Busingatha side on the left of the image?

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”
Last edit: 07 Apr 2017 12:19 by Viking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2017 02:09 #71339 by intrepid

Is that the Inner Tower gully - Busingatha side on the left of the image?

It's the valley you see on the right.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
11 Apr 2017 09:17 #71340 by Viking
I meant the other left!!

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More
13 Oct 2021 21:43 - 17 Oct 2021 21:04 #77210 by tonymarshall
On 25 September Neil Margetts, Eddie Harvey (edh on VE but not a frequent contributor) and tonymarshall climbed Inner Tower, and also found the rusted summit tin described in detail by intrepid, exactly six years later.  

Surprisingly, we also found the current summit book in a stainless steel box, very visibly placed in the summit cairn, in such a way that we saw it immediately and didn't even have to look for it.  

The modern box contained a notebook and pencil, and the old round summit tin contained all the items detailed by intrepid.  

The old summit tin was rusted closed, but by tapping around the edge of the lid with a nut pick I was able to open it, and we took out all the items in the old tin and looked at them and read all the notes.  

When I looked at the 1932 note on the back of the Cadburys wrapper again, the top right note in the previous photo, it immediately struck me that the first name is H A Liddle. This was because the name was fresh in my mind from the history I had read up before doing the climb - H A Liddle (Herbert 'Oompie' Liddle) was a climber who did the first ascent of Mount Oompie, named after him, in 1930, which today has reverted back to being called Thaba Endanyazana, and the peak below it is called Mount Oompie now. He was at the opening of the Amphitheatre Mountain Club Hut in 1930. So it is quite conceivable to me that it is his name on the 1932 summit record of Inner Tower, although the initials H A are not obvious, but with a bit of study of the writing are quite possible 

We were able to study the silver wrapper in detail, which intrepid only noticed had writing on it when looking at his photos afterwards. The wrapper had the words "The Cigarette ? ?" embossed on it, as can be seen in the photo below, so it must be the wrapper from a cigarette tin, assuming that in 1949, the date on the note, cigarettes still came in tins and not boxes.  

I carefully wrote down the details of the writing that we could read on the note on the wrapper. It was not clear if the note had been written with a pen and the ink had faded, or if the note was written just by pressing something into the foil. Because of this uncertainty, and folds or crumples in the foil, some of the writing was very difficult to identify. Three Williams surnames were quite easy to make out on the note, and the fourth surname appears to be Pesousis or Piesousis.

The details we could read on the note are: 
? April
Ascended South Arete
R ? Williams
O G Williams
F G Pesousis
G ? Williams
? ? /49  

We also read through the summit book, and the last entry was from 2003. Unfortunately none of us took note of the date of the first entry, but maybe some of the experienced berg climbers can identify the approximate age of the summit box. The last entry in the book has a VE connection, in Justin Nixon, experienced climber, who is Jackson on VE.  

Although we had come not expecting to find a summit box and book, from intrepid and AndrewP's ascent, we were quite surprised to find the summit box so easily. I even brought a piece of paper and pen with me to add our note to the old tin, and it remains a mystery why intrepid and Andrew didn't find the summit box. I have discussed this with intrepid, and we don't know why they didn't find the summit box. It is possible that someone else searched the cairn and found the summit box after their ascent six years ago, and left the box in the obvious position where we found it, but then why didn't that someone fill in the book? It is impossible that the summit book and box was where we found it since 2003, and intrepid and AndrewP didn't see it. The photo below shows our brief entry in the summit book.  

There is a write up of our climb on the topic "Inner Tower".

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 17 Oct 2021 21:04 by tonymarshall. Reason: Correct formatting
The following user(s) said Thank You: intrepid, Stijn, firephish, Smurfatefrog, TheRealDave, grae22, riaan300, wildingo

More
15 Oct 2021 18:01 #77224 by intrepid

Although we had come not expecting to find a summit box and book, from inrepid and AndrewP's ascent, we were quite surprised to find the summit box so easily. I even brought a piece of paper and pen with me to add our note to the old tin, and it remains a mystery why intrepid and Andrew didn't find the summit box. I have discussed this with intrepid, and we don't know why they didn't find the summit box. It is possible that someone else searched the cairn and found the summit box after their ascent six years ago, and left the box in the obvious position where we found it, but then why didn't that someone fill in the book? It is impossible that the summit book and box was where we found it since 2003, and intrepid and AndrewP didn't see it.

OK, who hid the summit box on us??

This image is hidden for guests.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, tonymarshall

More