Pyramid: The Standard route

08 Jan 2016 10:41 #66365 by Viking
On Tuesday 5th January marc_mctaggart and I climbed this route from Tseketseke hut following a late afternoon/evening hike in to the hut, which required headlamps for the last kilometre or so.

Mark's wife Jess, as with our Rhino climb, accompanied us to the base of the climbing.

It was a long day out for us and whilst worthwhile to tick it off the list, I don't think it will make the repeat list!

The MCSA RD for the route is easy to follow as the climb follows the NE ridge-line. Thanks also to Intrepid for his gps track of the approach and climb which is available on this site.
Just a note here though:
What Intrepid has marked as the "bottom pitch" is only mentioned as a part of the approach scrambles in the RD and could be confused with the RD's "first pitch of F1" which comes after this "bottom pitch"
I feel that Intrepid's description makes more sense.

After the bottom pitch/scramble (depending on your climbing ability) you walk up past a few more rock bands before the main pitch of F1 which is rather obvious when you reach it. Immediately after this you cross the "knife-edge" ridge and go into the last pitch/scramble before the summit.

We climbed the route as three pitches and also belayed across the "knife edge" ridge.

Here are some photographs taken by us:

The steep grass bank leaving the Tseketseke river below:

View towards Pyramid once you have crested the ridge:

Looking back along the traverse route. You crest the ridge just south of the Sharks Tooth:

The steep grass slopes:

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2016 10:45 #66366 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Pyramid: The Standard route
Coming up the NE ridge on approach:

The F1 pitch:

View from summit back to the top of the last pitch:

Team summit selfie:

Summit book:

A rather ominous looking Column, both scary and enticing!

More
18 Jan 2016 12:38 - 18 Jan 2016 13:16 #66523 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Pyramid: The Standard route
For those that enjoy photographs here is a link to a bunch more in our combined Facebook album:

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10208463026032236&type=1&l=b54a784005

Last edit: 18 Jan 2016 13:16 by Viking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChrisPatient, eras

More
18 Jan 2016 20:17 #66539 by Richard Hunt
Really enjoyed these F-Book pics....they portrayed the real journey and brought a gush of mountain air to my evening!! The end objective is good but to me the journey are the little things along the way, often overlooked! The mountains to me are not a race track of who has done the highest, most and quickest....even though I could have done it...but a place of soul changing awesome beauty "Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world"
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamcligeo, LouisvV, Viking, ChrisPatient, Macc, saros, Papa Dragon, Biomech

More
29 May 2019 21:27 - 29 May 2019 21:34 #75039 by ghaznavid
So over the weekend myself and Marco did Pyramid Standard Route. Well, to be more accurate, Marco lead all the pitches and I aided the crux, but I did do the navigation and I did stand on top, so still counts :lol:

We got benighted on the way down - which added some fun to the story (and meant going into work late on Monday). A bit of a soft benighting as we spent the night on soft flattish ground in our sleeping bags, but still made for an epic tale.

My thoughts on the route - pitch 1 (the C grade one) starts with no gear on some moves much harder than C grade. Pitch 2 is mostly sustained hard E with 1 move that surely is harder than F1 (but would be easy if there was just one extra foothold). Pitch 3 is 1 move and mostly just walking. Pitch 4 is easy, kind of feels like a victory lap.

For the descent. The first and second chains are easy to find. The second abseil is a bit tricky as it isn't straight down. The RD is a bit vague on what you are trying to do, but it is pretty obvious when you are there. The chains on abseil 3 are very hard to find, and the abseil itself is by far the longest and most intimidating of the 3. I built a small cairn next to the chains, but there are a few cairns in the wrong place above them which confuses things a lot. The scramble back down to the traverse from the final abseil is actually fairly difficult and could easily end badly. There was evidence of people having abseiled down the lower scrambles and I can't say I blame them.

Pitch 1 marked in yellow, the walk between pitches 1 and 2 in blue, red for pitch 2, orange for pitch 3 (the Window is where the second abseil starts) and purple for the 4th pitch.

Either this is sandbagged as a C pitch, or we took the wrong line for the start. Once you are up this but, the rest of the pitch is pretty easy

The crux pitch

The Column from the summit of Pyramid

Summit shot, also known as "what happened to my other climbing shoe?" (photo by Marco)

Two teams had summitted since Viking and Macc in 2016. Interestingly we were the first team of 2019, with only one team each year for 2016 to 2018.

Marco coming down the slightly sideward second abseil

At the bottom of abseil 2 (photo by Marco)

The only reason I found the final set of chains was that someone left this tat on them, they were very hard to find

Me on the final bit of the last abseil, this section is overhanging, which is a bit intimidating (photo by Marco)

Full hike report at:
jonathantheghaznavid.wordpress.com/2019/05/29/pyramid-standard-route/

Last edit: 29 May 2019 21:34 by ghaznavid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, Stijn, DeonS, tonymarshall, Riaang, Dave, GriffBaker, WarrenM

More