Bushman's Neck to Sehlabathebe

21 Jan 2018 17:49 #72670 by Mphillips1
Hi!
We are planning a family hike to Sehlabathebe starting at Bushman's Nek in honour of my late dad, who spent a lot of time up there. None of us are very experienced Drakensberg hikers but all in (at least) good shape with fairly good hiking experience between us. Has anyone who has done this hike or sections of it got any pertinent info to share? Where can I go to get good trail details and maps of the area?
We were hoping to make it up with one overnight stay, do you think this is reasonable, and if so where would you recommend camping? Is there a well-placed cave or hut anywhere on route?
Also, long shot here, but what do you think of the idea of taking a toddler along? (aside from the obvious extra effort that would involve) Is it the kind of hike for which that might be feasible or is it a ridiculous idea? I have taken him on day hikes before with steep sections but haven't been on an overnight one with him, and wouldn't want to take him on this one if it involves a lot of steep stretches.
Thank you in advance for your input!
Moraea

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2018 19:47 #72674 by DesPorter
Tarn cave is an easy hike with no steep gradients. Go up the pass till you see the container and then go right and walk along the fence. Get a map at a hiking shop or use google. How old is the toddler? When Andrew was 5 he did the Rhebok trail with no problems at all, has the toddler slept out before?

More
21 Jan 2018 19:58 - 21 Jan 2018 20:01 #72675 by Papa Dragon
Yes, Tarn Cave for sure.. but maybe Tarn Cave Pass will be better than Bushman's Nek Pass Des?

If you download Wikiloc app on your phone, and download the South Africa offlline map, it has the whole trail marked from Bushman's Nek to Tarn Cave, via either Tarn Cave Pass or Bushman's Nek Pass. Like Des says, depends on the toddler, will probably need to be assisted a fair bit though.. it is about 600m ascent..

Up Tarn Cave Pass, and down Bushman's Nek Pass is a nice loop.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2018 20:01 by Papa Dragon.

More
01 Mar 2018 21:46 #72894 by Mphillips1
Eek! So sorry, I had not seen your replies! Thank you very much for the info. Tarn Cave sounds like a good choice then, will check out maps to decide between the two passes. The toddler has been on a lot of hikes but not overnight yet. Will maybe try a local overnighter to see how he does before deciding whether to take him with. I'm fine with assisting him, just wouldn't want to bring him on dangerous passes. Thanks again!

More