Itineraries for doing the Bell Traverse

27 Mar 2012 19:42 #53328 by tiska
another possible point of confusion might be that the route up Cathedral peak used to exit almost at the very top of Buggers gully. But a different route tends to be followed now instead (down and to the NW of the gully). That might explain why the route is said to be closed/discontinued.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2012 06:50 - 28 Mar 2012 06:50 #53331 by intrepid
@GiantMTB: Welcome.

Where did you hear this from?

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 28 Mar 2012 06:50 by intrepid.

More
28 Mar 2012 07:04 #53332 by GiantMTB
Some people via the grape vine in PTA. :dry:
That is why had to ask here.
So the Bell traverse over Buggers Gully is open and good to go?

More
28 Mar 2012 08:22 #53336 by intrepid
I'm assuming so simply because I haven't heard anything definite to indicate otherwise. To make 100% sure phone Didima resort and ask them.

More
28 Mar 2012 10:53 #53343 by intrepid
Just checked with a KZN Wildlife official: they have not closed anything. To them the route over Bugger Gully has always simply been "a way to go" and they don't generally recommend that it be used simply because of its condition and the safety hazard that it can be, but they have not "closed" it and nothing has changed.

The following user(s) said Thank You: GiantMTB

More
28 Mar 2012 14:24 #53348 by joshuabrophy
I heard from someone that a hiker had fallen and died there not so long ago, we decided on decending via organ pipes pass instead! Is orange peel gap that dangerous?

More
28 Mar 2012 14:32 #53349 by intrepid
I suspect you are referring to the incident which took place in September 2010. This happened near Bugger Gully but it didn't really have anything to do with the actual trail being dangerous. To understand what happened there read it for yourself in Dragon's Wrath 2010 thread from this point onwards (the discussion goes on for a few pages).

More
29 Mar 2012 12:45 #53365 by joshuabrophy
Sorry Intrepid, it has obviously been too long since my last hike! when I saw the post I wasnt thinknig, I realize It was in fact at "Windy Gap" that some one had fallen?

More
29 Mar 2012 12:58 #53367 by intrepid

More
10 Apr 2012 13:15 #53476 by joshuabrophy
Hi All,

Need some help/advice - taking a group including 2 novice hikers up Bell traverse , planning on hiking up to Shermans one afternoon ,then doing the Bell Traverse up past twins and into Lesotho the following day, want to camp near tsketske so to descend down it the final day back to the hotel? I am concerned about what I have read about the stae of this pass- your communal input is welcome:)

More