Track via One Tree Hill

11 May 2017 07:21 #71554 by Sabine
Does anyone have a track to send me from Cathedral Peak Hotel to Mlambonja Pass via One tree Hill?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2017 13:25 #71559 by Rhinoandhedgehog
This will get you to the contour path then swing left instead of right.
Oqalweni Circuit (contour path) [/map]

More
11 May 2017 13:40 #71560 by Smurfatefrog
Emailed to you Sabine

More
11 May 2017 17:04 #71562 by Sabine
Replied by Sabine on topic Track via One Tree Hill
Thanks Merv

More
26 May 2017 11:26 #71647 by AdrianT
Replied by AdrianT on topic Track via One Tree Hill
All sorted then? Also have one.

More
27 May 2017 19:15 #71656 by Sabine
Replied by Sabine on topic Track via One Tree Hill
Yes thanks. Got a track

More
14 Jan 2019 11:04 #74533 by WarrenM
Replied by WarrenM on topic Track via One Tree Hill
Hi All

Quick question, as we have gotten stuck at the Mlambonja river crossing coming down from Orange Peel Gap because the river was to high to cross in summer, and it was a mission to get to the golf course bridge.

If descending Mlambonja pass, I know that we could use the route via Neptune pools, and would have no issue with having to cross Mlambonja close to the hotel, I cannot remember as I have only done it when the river is low and it was a long time ago, but is it possible to cross Mlambonja after descending One Tree Hill when the river is high?

If anyone has cross Mlambonja after descending One Tree hill when the river is high, please let me know

More
14 Jan 2019 12:26 #74534 by AdrianT
Replied by AdrianT on topic Track via One Tree Hill

WarrenM wrote: If anyone has cross Mlambonja after descending One Tree hill when the river is high, please let me know

I think that really depends on your ability and how comfortable you feel in water. I could probably cross any river at any level but I've been a whitewater kayaker for many years, have done swift water rescue courses and know how to swim in a river - big and small. Not all my swims have been by choice. So if you know for sure you can float down on your back in the correct position where shallow, know when and how to swim, how to cross eddy lines and then also things like never to stand up and also to climb up into strainers (trees/logs) and have practised this is a safe, controlled environment then sure I would say no problem. People standing up (foot entrapment can easily result) and trees are generally what will kill people. Flush drownings are less frequent. Maybe if you want to extend your trail running no matter the conditions a swift water rescue course might not be a bad idea. A day spent at Gatsien (a rapid at the Vaal) would be a real eye opener. My first course was done there with Hugh and swimming towards a log and having to climb over it is not as easy as it sounds and these Drakensberg streams are often chocked in strainers. Certainly not a skill read about or learnt via Youtube. It is good for your own safety and confidence to maybe do one. I just read ten minutes ago about an unfortunate who drowned up country in a flash flood. Quite avoidable with some basic skills. Hugh du Preez from Whitewater Training in Parys is ideal for this. In my trail running I've found it curious how many runners really dislike water, and river crossings. I guess they are often more "mountain people" :)  

More
15 Jan 2019 09:51 #74543 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Track via One Tree Hill
Hi Warren,

Shortly after the bottom of 1 Tree hill you will have to cross the river if you want to get back to the hotel. Well, that is if you follow the normal path. I've crossed it when the water was about 1m high and pumping, and it was rather scary, would think twice if I ever have to do it again, and definitely wouldn't do it if my wife was on the hike with me. from what I seem to recall the river was fairly wide where the path goes into the river, so you are exposed for quite a distance, as opposed to other rivers that are say only 3 - 4m wide, this was a good 10m or more. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: WarrenM

More
15 Jan 2019 13:07 #74544 by GetaPix
Replied by GetaPix on topic Track via One Tree Hill
Ive been stuck there before in serious flooding. We tempted fate and almost lost a man in the process. Hotel  sent horses...and gave up on getting us over. It turned dark and we spent a miserable night soaking wet in tents. Since it was the last day returning from Twins down Mhlambonja, I did not take much care in waterproofing everything. It rained/poured the whole hike down and the pass itself challenged us with rapids.  Our attempts to cross also further soaked everything as we could smell home and cared for little else. This was many years back - I think back in 2000 if Im not mistaken. Things have changed ever since. The short of it all is that the best would be to bundu bash further down (what today is the Golf course area or even before that and test several other crossings) The next day we did exactly that and by then it offered us safer crossing options
The following user(s) said Thank You: WarrenM

More