Mashai Pass - Rhino Peak hike

11 Apr 2018 09:35 #73165 by Dillon
Planning on "running" up there on Saturday, so I can hopefully report back on Sunday.

"Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2018 10:54 #73206 by Dillon
I think the route up Mashai Pass yesterday was no better or worse than it’s been in previous years. It was a bit scrambly and loose near the top when crossing the river onto the true right grass bank, but other than that it was fine.

The ladder out of the first river crossing (about 2km from the car park) has been washed away, so that's a bit scrambly at the moment.

This ladder is back.

"Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andreas, Biomech

More
17 Apr 2018 10:54 #73222 by cjl0711
HI Guys
I'm new to the forum but so far really enjoying what i have seen of the site.
Quick question with regard to security issues on Rhino Peak - I would like to do a trip up there soon, (end April beginning May) overnight in pillar cave on night 1 and then tent on top night 2. or would it be better not to camp on top on the second night and rather come back down? we will be a small group of between 3/4 people.

CJ

More
17 Apr 2018 11:20 - 17 Apr 2018 11:22 #73223 by JonWells
Hi cjl0711

I'm not aware of any major security incidents in this area, although there have been many reports of hikers being harrassed/intimidated on the escarpment above Mashai Pass. You may be surrounded by a group asking/demanding food, cigarettes etc. This has happened to myself personally to an extent that I have not felt safe to camp there, and rather returned back down the pass.

On other occasions there has been no one around and I have camped without incident. I would suggest maybe playing it by ear. You could always go up with the intention of camping on top, with the option of returning back down should you feel unsafe for any reason.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2018 11:22 by JonWells.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cjl0711

More