The Sea Serpent

24 Jul 2019 21:12 #75188 by MarkT
The Sea Serpent was created by MarkT
I can't find any mention of this feature in the forum, so here are some pics of the "Sea Serpent" in the Northern Garden Castle, Mzimkhulu. I think it's awesome! The Venice & Chameleon caves are a part of the back of it. I wonder what it looks like in summer outside of fire season.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2019 14:10 #75189 by elinda
Replied by elinda on topic The Sea Serpent
Thanks for posting this interesting photo Mark T - I hiked in this area years ago and have overnighted at Venice Cave ( 7 of us managed to fit in) and we also looked at Chameleon Cave.  I always wondered how the Sea Serpent got its name, as its not immediately obvious when you are walking below it.  Your photo however, taken from a higher view point shows why!  Quite an amazing feature.  I think a return hike to this area is on the cards for me :)

More
25 Jul 2019 14:44 #75190 by GriffBaker
Replied by GriffBaker on topic The Sea Serpent
A more fitting name would be 'Inkanyamba'

InkanyambaFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Inkanyamba is a legendary serpent said to be living in a waterfall lake area in the northern forests near  Pietermaritzburg  most commonly in the base of  Howick Falls South Africa . The  Zulu  tribes of the area believe it to be a large serpent with an equine head. Most active in the summer months, it is believed that the Inkanyamba's anger causes the seasonal storms. [1] [2]

This image is hidden for guests.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, AdrianT

More