Giant's Castle day hikes

21 Apr 2014 19:09 #60419 by Stockhausen
Hi all,

Hope you're all well and enjoying the transition into winter? I was wondering what your thoughts are on day hikes in the GC area? My SO wants overnight home comforts so we will only be hiking in the day, up to 12 hours or so.

What passes are nice/possible to do in a day from the EKZN camp, round trip?

Any other hikes? Can one encorporate some of the contour path right under the looming GC in a circular route perhaps?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2014 20:05 #60421 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Giant's Castle day hikes
Some escarpment day hikes I have done at giants:

www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/8-drakensberg-hiking/54179-the-thumb-that-spurred-us-on.html

www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/10-drakensberg-peaks/54068-the-carbineers.html?start=30#59752

If Langies Pass is part of the route, many things can be done in a day! You can also loop Bannerman and Langies Pass in a day, but this is a bit tougher.

Otherwise you can do some nice day loops in the small Berg - up Bannerman Ridge down Langies or Giant's ridge makes for a fun day out. Also don't miss the Main Caves if you enjoy rock art.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stockhausen

More
21 Apr 2014 20:47 #60422 by Stockhausen
Thanks ghaznavid. Both threads look great - the Thumb looks particularly appealing, although my wife can be a little panicky when there is exposure! Do people still have problems with the friendly neighbours on Langalibalele pass? Is there any particular bit to worry about, or just on top?

We will also do some of your suggested small berg loops.

Thanks

More
21 Apr 2014 21:13 - 21 Apr 2014 21:15 #60423 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Giant's Castle day hikes
That Thumb one was a really great day out - first outing of Team Khulu Bagger, also incidentally the first time I ever met Kliktrak or Hobbit.

I have personally done Langies Pass 10 times, I have hiked through the valley a few times, and even camped in sight of some kraals further down river in the valley. I am yet to have any trouble with locals, and have rarely even sighted them in this valley. On a day hike this also shouldn't be a problem, but obviously take the usual precautions - don't leave your pack lying around etc.

Langies Pass is as tame as passes come, no real exposure or anything. Good water at the base and you come close to water near the top as well. There is also a river on the Lesotho side if you contour around left/north from the top of the pass.

South Hlubi Pass is steep, but not really exposed (no trail). Just a typical gully pass. If you stay out of the boulder field there is nothing tricky about it. The north Hlubi pass has a bit in the middle where you have to scramble down some rocks - but this is easy if dry. North isn't as steep as South, and does have a better view - however, after what happened when I did the north pass, it doesn't rate highly in my mind (see www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/drakensberg-trips/55432-the-dragons-missing-thumb.html?limitstart=0 )

To tell the difference between the 2 passes - the top of the north pass is perpendicular to the escarpment edge, the south pass is parallel.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2014 21:15 by ghaznavid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stockhausen

More
22 Apr 2014 00:06 #60425 by Stockhausen
Gosh - just read your trip report and it sounds like you had a rough day last Feb! Glad that Mike was ok - I had a nasty fall onto my knee last year (knee took most of my weight) and he was lucky not to injure himself in a mobility affecting way.

Do you ever use Alpine Quest? There are some paths entered on it for the area already.

More
23 Apr 2014 15:07 #60461 by Stockhausen
Hi again - I like the idea of the small berg loops imbetween longer hike days - perhaps something like this?

www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=bmanenztrzuayozf

You can click on the Google Earth fly link to see routes too.

More
07 Jan 2019 21:09 - 07 Jan 2019 21:10 #74468 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Giant's Castle day hikes
Our discussions for day hike options at Giant's Castle have been oriented around the very long, adventurous options. Here is an outline of easier options:

1. Main Caves + 2 Dassie Stream
2. Grysbok Bush
3. World's View
4. Circular loop to Meander Hut and back
5. Bannerman Path - Junction G24 - Junction G25 - Langalibalele Ridge circuit, or segments thereof

Members are encouraged to post write-ups and photos of the above, as well as other good day hike options. As a general guideline it is better to create separate threads for each route option.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2019 21:10 by intrepid.

More