Bannerman Pass - Langalibalele Pass Loop

16 Oct 2014 21:34 #62072 by ghaznavid
Gollum, gollum...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2017 15:39 - 01 Nov 2017 16:37 #72309 by rynojansen
Hey guys, new to the forum and I need a bit of help. Looking to take a couple of students to the mountains middle November. Bannerman and Langies from what I can see looks like a great hike.

Is it however possible to do it in 1 night? Sleep in Bannerman cave? Spare rib cave? Bannerman hut?

Is it necessary to have gps, or any form of navigation?

Mod Note- Post moved to existing thread
Last edit: 01 Nov 2017 16:37 by JonWells.

More
01 Nov 2017 16:31 #72310 by JonWells
Hi Ryno

The loop is around 30km long, so I would recommend doing it over 2 nights. Its around 10km from the car park to Bannerman Hut which is the ideal spot to spend the first night.

Spare rib cave is nice and big, but is fairly close to the hut, so not sure if it would make sense to spend a second night here. Bannerman cave is not a great option in my opinion as there is limited space, and its a fair distance to the river. Best option would be to camp above Langalibalele Pass on your second night, but this would require carrying tents.

Although navigation is not that difficult, I would still recommend taking some sort of GPS as if you happen to be surrounded by mist and cloud, you are likely to become rather disoriented on the escarpment, especially if you are unfamiliar with the region.

Having said all this, it is of course possible to do this as a 1 night hike, although this would depend very much on your group's fitness and experience, so maybe you could give some more info? Also how many would be in your group?

More
01 Nov 2017 17:17 #72311 by rynojansen
Fitness moderate to high.
Experience zero.

What would you suggest to use as GPS?

Other one night routes that you would suggest?

More
01 Nov 2017 17:27 #72312 by rynojansen
Fitness moderate to high.
Experience zero.

What would you suggest to use as GPS?

Other one night routes that you would suggest?

I have done a couple of hikes, but want to take a few young guys and introduce them to the mountains.

Are there any maps available so I can plan a route, couldnt find anything online.

What is the distance from car park up Langies to camp on the top? Is there then another route back, because if there is it might be an option.

More
02 Nov 2017 07:16 #72313 by AndrewP
You will be able to get maps at the reception when you sign in.

Langies is one of the shortest and easiest passes around. If you are fit and stupid and carry nothing, you can get up and down in it about 3 hours. And will see nothing but your feet and will not exactly have a great experience.

If you are limited to 1 night, the Giants area is one of the best as the approach hikes to the base of the passes are short. Maybe do a loop on the contour path, say going up Oribi Ridge or Giants Ridge and down Bannerman Ridge (or other way round). You could maybe do a brief trip up and down Langies from the contour path if you can find a sucker to look after the bags. You would then need tents

You could also consider the standard Chain Ladder hike up to the Tugela Falls, but your fitness level is probably high enough to make that a bit short. Or, maybe go to Bushmans Neck and do a loop up Bushmans Pass, down Thomathu Pass.

GPS - I use an eTrex 30. It is light weight, battery life is about double the fancier units, and has all the features I need. The eTrex 20 is also a good buy. You can get a free OSM map of South Africa for any Garmin GPS, which is significantly better than any map commercially available from Garmin. I highly recommend getting a map for the GPS, but do not waste money buying one.

More
02 Nov 2017 08:17 #72314 by JonWells

What is the distance from car park up Langies to camp on the top? Is there then another route back, because if there is it might be an option.

Distance is around 10km. Unless you want quite a long second day you would probably still need to return via Langies. If you went with this option you wouldnt need a gps as its quite a straight forward path all the way.

More
02 Nov 2017 12:30 #72315 by rynojansen
Id love to summit in this area but still be able to sleep in a cave.

Would you still suggest Langies to summit?

And what Cave would suggest Spare Rib Cave?

Sorry if I had a map id be able to check self before asking. I'll have to work on stocking up.

Are there any available electronically?

I tried some of the app suggestions on the forum but doesn't help much.

More
02 Nov 2017 12:59 - 02 Nov 2017 13:03 #72316 by JonWells
To get an idea of the area, why not use Google earth to help with the general layout, distances etc?

If you really want to sleep in a cave, Spare Rib is probably your only good option, but its roughly 400m vertically below the escarpment.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 02 Nov 2017 13:03 by JonWells.

More
02 Nov 2017 14:28 #72318 by TheRealDave
A loop using Langies and one of the Jarding / Jarateng Passes would be good for a one-nighter. However, I don't think there's a cave on the escarpment for this route. Central Jarding Pass has caves - see here . There is a cave about three-quarters of the way up North Jarateng, but it's sloped and uncomfortable.

More