Injisuthi Camp to Wonder Valley Cave

21 Jan 2014 11:05 #59479 by deszn
Hi, I would like to know about the difficulty of the hike from the Injisuthi camp site to Wonder Valley cave and back. This is is for a bunch of unfit guys just wanting to do a day hike and return to camp for beers and binge after. Any advice? B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2014 11:35 #59480 by JonWells
Hi Deszn

The hike to the cave is about 5km or so, and involves 500m of ascent.

I wouldnt consider this route to be particularly difficult, and without overnight packs you guys shouldnt have a problem doing it as a day hike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deszn

More
21 Jan 2014 14:23 #59485 by ruthtbl
Hi deszn

I have done this as a day hike with family from the Injisuthi hutted camp, up Van Heyningan's Pass, to Wonder Valley and back to the hutted camp. The steepest bit is Van Heyningan's Pass (if I remember correctly), but the distances are not too bad so you can pretty much go as slowly as you need to. If you are unsure about how far you want to hike, you could first walk the circular route to the dipping tanks (about 2km I think), which is a really easy walk (in my opinion).

'Please accept the stimulation'

More
21 Jan 2014 17:37 #59487 by john mark 1
Hey Deszn

I've done this day hike.
@ Jonwells, I think its a bit further than 5km, more like a 15km return trip if I remember correctly.

My personal opinion is that this hike gets a tad boring after van Heyningen's pass. You walk away from the true berg mountains and I don't remember brilliant views (well, there's some very nice views from top of van Heyningen's that are really worth it, but after that, your views are kindof at an end) as apposed to other hikes at Injisuthi. But then again, I still thoroughly enjoyed it and am certainly glad I did it.

Have you done all the other day hikes at Injisuthi? If not, I would seriously recommend doing one of the others such as Grindstone caves, or Marble baths. Both are really nice and extremely manageable day hikes for whole families.

There was a thread some time ago named something like 'day hikes at injisuthi', just search that and you will have a whole lot of info (if that's what you are looking for).

Hope that helps, let me know if there's anything else you wanna know about this hike or any hike at Injisuthi. (and sorry if you already know all this!)

More
23 Jan 2014 10:41 #59496 by deszn

john mark 1 wrote: Hey Deszn

I've done this day hike.
@ Jonwells, I think its a bit further than 5km, more like a 15km return trip if I remember correctly.

My personal opinion is that this hike gets a tad boring after van Heyningen's pass. You walk away from the true berg mountains and I don't remember brilliant views (well, there's some very nice views from top of van Heyningen's that are really worth it, but after that, your views are kindof at an end) as apposed to other hikes at Injisuthi. But then again, I still thoroughly enjoyed it and am certainly glad I did it.

Have you done all the other day hikes at Injisuthi? If not, I would seriously recommend doing one of the others such as Grindstone caves, or Marble baths. Both are really nice and extremely manageable day hikes for whole families.

There was a thread some time ago named something like 'day hikes at injisuthi', just search that and you will have a whole lot of info (if that's what you are looking for).

Hope that helps, let me know if there's anything else you wanna know about this hike or any hike at Injisuthi. (and sorry if you already know all this!)

Hi,

We have been to the Marble baths caves, so we're looking for something that would be a bit different, albeit a day hike is what we had in mind. Your advice is really appreciated John

More
24 Jan 2014 20:18 #59513 by HFc
If you guys have done the trip to Marble Baths, you will easily do the Wonder Valley trip. It is easier than the trip to Marble Baths and back, although a lot less spectacular (besides the top of van Heynigens which is always great view wise).

Start out early and enjoy!

More
05 Feb 2014 19:09 - 05 Feb 2014 19:12 #59634 by deszn
Hi. I'm also considering the hike to lower injisuthi cave. Considering the limitations of our group mentioned before, is this a doable option?
Last edit: 05 Feb 2014 19:12 by deszn.

More
05 Feb 2014 19:16 #59635 by ghaznavid

deszn wrote: Hi. I'm also considering the hike to lower injisuthi cave. Considering the limitations of my group mentioned before, is this a doable option?

Last year a team of 5 of us did this in less than 3 hours. Its gentle and very scenic. Very doable.

Just make sure you know how to find it - the trail becomes a bit faint before you cross the river just before the cave. Have a look at the pics on my writeup www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/drakensberg-trips/55400-injisuthi-loop-wet-hiker-hidden-dragon.html

www.berg.co.za also has some pics and info.

There's some rock art right by the entrance to the cave, very faded and easy to miss - just make sure you don't touch it, don't put water on it or anything like that.

More
27 Feb 2014 15:39 #59758 by deszn
Hi guys. Still considering that Campsite to Lower Injisuthi cave hike. Any news on the river crossings and if they're high at the moment?

More
27 Feb 2014 17:44 #59760 by tiska

deszn wrote: Hi guys. Still considering that Campsite to Lower Injisuthi cave hike. Any news on the river crossings and if they're high at the moment?

There's only one crossing which is a potential show stopper - namely the one which is 15 minutes from the road and which is shown in some of the photos on this thread:
www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/14-drakensberg-general/55513-jan-mar-2014-rivers-in-flood.html?start=10

If the river is high, then there is a longer way round which doesn't involve the crossing the Injisuthi river near the road - go downstream of the road bridge and take the path which goes steeply up the ridge on the right hand side of the river and road. It adds 30-40 minutes to the hike. You cross the river plenty of times upstream of Battle Cave. These crossings are normally quite doable even if the river is v.high but its far easier in a pair of crcos or equivalent otherwise you spend a lot of time putting shoes on and taking them off.

More