Ledgers Pass

25 Apr 2019 13:54 #74933 by elinda
Replied by elinda on topic Ledgers Pass
"Am I right with the following assumption:
As you hike up towards Mnweni pass, it is on the terrace on the left (i.e. true right) of the Mnweni river
It is before the gully leading to Fangs cave (i.e. before 5 star cave), so it is not opposite Shepherds cave, but say about 400m or so downstream?"

Hi Riaang, yes you are correct - our campsite is where you thought.  I think it is used often by large groups of hikers as the grass was completely flattened when we got there.  A great spot to tent and close to the river!

You will need to go back to Manxome to explore that route..........  (smile)

( Can anyone explain to me how to insert an emoji??)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2019 14:31 #74934 by JonWells

More
25 Apr 2019 16:28 #74937 by elinda
Replied by elinda on topic Ledgers Pass
Aha! Thanks Jonwells

:thumbsup:

:laugh:

More
27 Apr 2019 06:41 #74944 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Ledgers Pass
Hi Elinda

So glad that you managed to beat the weather up the pass, it would have ben a shame had it closed out before you could get up and experience the views.  Always nice to see a different view on the berg. 

An amazing pass I am sure you would agree.  And the grass section is quite steep, so although the photos indicate otherwise, when we got there it seemed preferable to go up the rock route.  I would say in snow and ice the rock route might be out, and as long as you had sufficient snow to use, the grass section might be ok.

More
13 Oct 2020 19:31 #76197 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Ledgers Pass
Over the 2019 Easter long weekend elinda, Thora, Christine, Stephan, Gert-Jan, Darrell, Farouk and tonymarshall did a 3 day trip at Mnweni, ascending Ledges Cave Pass.

The first day was spent hiking up to the base of the pass in different groups and joining to tent overnight across the Mnweni River from Shepherds Cave near the base of the pass.

Elinda has already posted a write up of the pass and this trip, and there are also other good write ups and photos of Ledges Cave Pass, so I will concentrate more on the top section of the pass with the gully and scramble.

A view back down the lower section of the ridge with the Mnweni Valley in the background.

The group taking a morning break on the ridge. In the photo below, we would traverse into the gully from the ridge just below the major rock band on the ridge at the left of the photo (although it’s difficult to separate this rock band from the cliffs behind in the photo).

Another view back down the ridge, from just below where we would traverse right into the pass gully.

The area where we left the ridge and traversed into the gully.

The group traversing into the gully.

In the gully, ascending in the boulder bed section.

Above the boulder bed section of gully, there is a section of grass slope, leading to the narrow final gully with the scramble to the summit. The narrow final gully starts to the right of the spire in the photo below.

A view back down the pass from the base of the spire in the previous photo. Ledges Cave Pass has spectacular views to Pins Pass, The Black and Tan Wall Passes and Rwanqa Pass.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

More
13 Oct 2020 19:43 #76198 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Ledgers Pass
The photo below shows the view down the final narrow gully, from the top of the scramble section. The grass scramble is at the foreground of the photo, and is steeper than it looks in the photo, with the rock scramble to the left. The hikers are about half way between the start at the base of the spire, and the scramble section, with the spire being the rock feature behind to the right of the hikers.

Some of the group at the top of the scramble, waiting for the others to come up, with a view up the rest of the final gully to the top.

A view up from below the grass scramble, note some of the group at the top of the scramble. Although I was first up, and used the rock scramble on the right (true left), it was apparent from above that the grass scramble was easier, and I encouraged the group to use this. There was a vague trail up the grass scramble. I went up and down the grass scramble several times, helping others and carrying packs up, and the grass is definitely the better option.

Thora and elinda at the top of the pass, on the grass ledge that leads to Ledges Cave (to the left in the photo below). The narrow gully continues up above the grass ledge to the summit, visible to the left in the background, and is an alternative route to the summit than via Ledges Cave.

A view down the final gully from the Ledges Cave grass ledge.

I have borrowed the photo below from elinda’s earlier post, as it shows a good perspective on the grass ledge to Ledges Cave and the top of Ledges Cave Pass gully, as well as the protruding buttress to the right of the pass gully, at the same height as the grass ledge. This prominent protruding buttress is a key feature visible from the summit when looking down Ledges Cave Pass from the top of the plateau. Note the rain gear and pack covers starting to appear. (Photo courtesy of elinda.)

It had started raining lightly so we used the shelter provided by Ledges Cave as we passed through to have lunch.

After going up to the summit plateau from Ledges Cave, I went back to the top of Ledges Cave Pass on the summit, and went down the narrow gully from the summit to the grass ledge, and back up. There are actually two gullies close together that join the summit plateau to the grass ledge. The photos below show the view down the gully directly in line with the pass gully from above, with the prominent protruding buttress visible on the right of the gullies above and below the grass ledge.

The rain had set in, and it had become quite miserable, so we abandoned our plans to go around the Mnweni Cutback, and instead found a suitable place to tent near water, and descended Rockeries Pass the next day.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

More
13 Oct 2020 20:39 #76199 by Papa Dragon
Replied by Papa Dragon on topic Ledgers Pass
Thanks Tony, still on my to do list!!

More
14 Oct 2020 12:22 #76200 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Ledgers Pass
Thanks for the write-up Tony.

The top section is properly steep, I've only ever descended this pass, I'm sure that last 200m would make your quads pretty tired. Can confirm your assessment of the grassy section versus the rocky section - the grassy section is not only easier, but also safer. Lots of berg grass to hold onto.

Thanks for checking out the final summit gully. I've been wondering which gully would go to the top, just never had the time to check it out.

More