Ifidi Pass

24 Oct 2011 01:17 - 24 Oct 2011 05:44 #4482 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Re: Ifidi Pass
I enjoyed your report, and know well the feeling of total exhaustion, but also the realisation that you can't just stop. When your legs can't move another step, it just gets mental and you dig deeper and find the motivation to continue.

I have also thought of taking light folding chair, as a hard rock is not always that comfortable at the end of a long day. However all the camera gear that i carry will always preclude me doing this.

Here is a good website i have just discovered. peakery.com/Ifidi-Buttress/
Last edit: 24 Oct 2011 05:44 by Serious tribe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2011 14:31 #4488 by ejacobszuk
Replied by ejacobszuk on topic Re: Ifidi Pass
Thank you for the link. Very cool site! Yes, people underestimate how many hours you actually sit down for over the 4 days. Those chairs weigh almost nothing and I have the comfort after a long day's hike. That trek down Mbundini was a real battle. I would love to know where we went down there in the mist. Thanks for your interest!

More
25 Oct 2011 07:20 - 25 Oct 2011 07:20 #4493 by kliktrak
Replied by kliktrak on topic Re: Ifidi Pass
yeah i believe in chairs to.

I take a small tripod chair, aliminium poles,, very light, and packs small, from Cape Union Mart:
www.capeunionmart.co.za/get_it/category/default.php?fk_category_id=43
(on the Cape Unon Mart site under : Gear > Furniture)

nothing better, especially for cooking, to avoid back breaking stances or crouching hiker buggered knee problems ;-)
Last edit: 25 Oct 2011 07:20 by kliktrak.

More
25 Oct 2011 07:53 #4494 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Re: Ifidi Pass
In the last year or so I've seen a lot of people with lightweight chairs in the 'Berg.

About a year ago six of us took turns to be photographed sitting in kliktrak's chair on top of Intunja, and the photos still make me smile when I see them :laugh:

More
25 Oct 2011 08:00 #4495 by kliktrak
Replied by kliktrak on topic Re: Ifidi Pass
Hey Tony,

I wondered if it was you. hope you are well. I havent been hiking as much this year, hopefully see you up in the berg soon.

Cool ya those were some memories :woohoo:

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
25 Oct 2011 09:16 #4497 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Re: Ifidi Pass
I haven't reached that level of fitness yet to carry a chair in my pack. :side:

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
26 Oct 2011 06:12 #4512 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Re: Ifidi Pass
I am starting to think that i have reached that age when a light chair might well be kind on the knees while cooking. I think kliktrack is actually on to something here. It would be great to rig something up with my photography tripod asa a chair when not shooting!

More
26 Oct 2011 08:35 #4518 by elinda
Replied by elinda on topic Re: Ifidi Pass
Thanks ejacobszuk for your write up - I really enjoyed reading about your epic trip! Makes me keen to try Ifidi sometime. You did not mention the availability of water whilst doing the pass?

More
26 Oct 2011 08:49 #4521 by ejacobszuk
Replied by ejacobszuk on topic Re: Ifidi Pass
Hi Elinda,

You're welcome and good point. It hasn't rained yet much in the berg when we were there 2 weeks ago, but there was water up until about 2400m. It dries up when you head up the narrow gully. There was ice up higher, but that is of no use while you're climbing. Once you're out and over the pass, there's a stream that starts towards Lesotho, I'd say about 500m from the pass entry. :thumbsup:

More
26 Oct 2011 18:16 #4539 by Boerkie
Replied by Boerkie on topic Re: Ifidi Pass
@ejacobzuk

The water you're referring to, is that the start of the Kubedu river? I'm in that area this weekend, would you say the water is safe to drink without treatment?

More