Mbundini Pass

03 May 2015 17:46 #63593 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Mbundini Pass
Photo taken yesterday, story to follow soon...

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: kliktrak

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2017 07:38 #71672 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Mbundini Pass
On the 27th April long weekend, Lorinda, Christine, Stephan, Lenard and tonymarshall ascended Mbundini Pass and descended Fangs Pass. In line with AndrewP’s advice, I can recommend some tough passes and khulus as good training for the Mnweni Marathon, but maybe two weeks before was too close to the event to recover fully.

When I had descended Mbundini Pass in 2013, my camera was broken and I used elinda’s photos for the pass write up at the start of this thread, and nobody visited or took photos of Mbundini Cave. This time I made a point of going to Mbundini Cave, and taking some photos, while the rest of the group waited in the pass for me. The photo below is the view back to the pass from Mbundini Cave. There is another overhang across the pass, but it didn’t look worth checking out so I didn’t.

A low wall has been built which divides the level floor area into two sections. The better, larger area is on the eastern side (in reference to the pass, the downslope end) of the wall, and three or four people could sleep here.

There is also a small area on the west side of the wall where two people could sleep.

The east side sleeping area looking over the wall.

Looking back down the pass, Mbundini Cave is on the right, at the bottom of the rock band to the right of the broad grass slope behind the hikers in the photo below.

My gps co ordinates for Mbundini Cave are S28° 50.790' E28° 56.943' at 3010 m. The cave is about 150 m vertically below the top of Mbundini Pass, and 350 m horizontally away.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Stijn, ghaznavid, ruthtbl, AdrianT, Redshift3, Andreas, GriffBaker, WarrenM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More