Ntonjelana Pass

27 Aug 2013 22:34 #58274 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Ntonjelana Pass
Great documenting of the route as always.

I have not done Ntonjelana Pass, it always seems to be sightly in between the routes that i have planned.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2013 15:30 #58306 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Ntonjelana Pass
Thanks Tony.

Ntonjelana ranks pretty highly in my books in terms of scenery.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
02 Sep 2013 03:21 #58321 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Ntonjelana Pass
@Intrepid I will keep that in mind.

More
28 Dec 2017 07:21 #72526 by WarrenM
Replied by WarrenM on topic Ntonjelana Pass
Hi All, sorry I've obviously missed the GPS track for Ntonjelana pass, I can't find it under downloads and I can see that Intrepid says that it is included in this thread but I can't see where, could I ask that someone please send me the gps track for the North Ntonjelana pass route.

Much appreciated.

More
10 Jan 2018 07:46 #72613 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Ntonjelana Pass
Now available as a download:
www.vertical-endeavour.com/downloads/download/8-drakensberg-passes/203-ntonjelana-pass-gps-data.html

This thread will be merged with the main thread for Ntonjelana Pass.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WarrenM

More
11 Jan 2018 12:41 #72621 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Ntonjelana Pass
On New Years Day, WarrenM went from Ledgers Cave to MCC via Ntonjelana Pass, 27km total distance (and an unusual line over the Nguza Ridge, courtesy of the sun being in my eyes as I was trying to pick a line). Obviously not the most efficient line, but we both wanted to bag the pass.

My 2c worth on this pass:

If the approach wasn't so long, this would be one of the easiest passes in the Berg. The pass is long, but mostly gradual, and on a very easy to follow path. The approach is long, and one could easily end up on the wrong trail if they didn't know where to go. I have only been to the lower Ntonjelana region twice, and on both occasions I have been walking out, so navigation was fairly simple. I guess I could navigate my way into this region from the centre without a GPS (basically take the left split of the river when you would normally leave the road to go right to Rockeries), but I would probably end up with some long convoluted approach. The lower region is full of trails used by the people living in the area, naturally most won't lead to the pass, so just a case of making sure you are still going in the right direction.

The views from the pass are exceptional, and the trail quality is surprisingly good for such a heavily used trail (although the ground moisture was just perfect when we were there, I guess it wouldn't be so nice in normal conditions).

Some photos:

Near the top of the pass

Below the summit gully, the pass traverses out before it starts dropping properly

An interesting rock formation before you start descending

WarrenM enjoying the view towards North Ntonjelana Pass

Waterfall Cave, just below the bottom of the pass

* and with that, I only need Rwanqa Pass to get all 10 map marked Mnweni Passes.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tonymarshall, Dave, WarrenM

More