Thamathu Pass

11 Oct 2011 08:36 #4309 by splatacat
Replied by splatacat on topic Thamathu Pass
When are you planning this trip for?

the 4th 5th and 6th Nov i'm attending the international marine aquarium conference of south Africa.
and the 19th 20th Nov i'm climbing at Swinburne.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2011 10:06 #4313 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Thamathu Pass
No date set yet, a friend of mine from Canada (she's working here for a year) is interested in joining, so I'll probably fit it in around her schedule. I'll let you know when I've talked to the people who will probably join.

More
11 Oct 2011 11:53 #4318 by splatacat
Replied by splatacat on topic Thamathu Pass
cool

Just plan it without thinking about me and ill see how things go and if i can join in.

More
04 Dec 2011 18:37 #5094 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Thamathu Pass
So we finally made our trip to Thamathu this weekend, delayed it a couple weeks due to rain but still ended up walking in the wet & mist on Saturday. In the last KM to the cave we could hardly see anything & were getting a little worried, luckily it suddenly appeared out of nowhere. The path to the cave had a few steep climbs which we weren't expecting.
I would guess the temp dropped to about 2 or 3 during the night but we were warm enough in the main middle section of the cave in 8 deg sleeping bags. The air was so moist though, nothing dried during the night, in fact tissues we had left out were soaked in the morning just from the air!
Water was not an issue at all, we had water running down the overhang of the cave & the stream was flowing strongly & easily accessible
Unfortunately we woke up to more mist & terrible visibility, so decided to give the pass ascent a miss, got some more sleep & took out time with breakfast. As we were leaving the sun made an appearance & everything cleared up but it was too late to go up the pass

A couple pics of the cave from the stream & the pass

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: intrepid, Boerkie

More
06 Dec 2011 07:53 #5104 by Boerkie
Replied by Boerkie on topic Thamathu Pass
Based on what Smurfatefrog posted.....

What would happen with a down bag in this case and maybe after consecutive days of this type of weather?

Also any suggestions drying base layers / clothing in that type of weather?

More
06 Dec 2011 08:04 #5106 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Thamathu Pass
I have an old FA Icebreaker and while the toe of the bag has often gotten quite wet on the outside from being pressed against the sidewall of the tent, it has never been wet on the inside. A similar thing happens when sleeping under the stars - you wake up with the outside of your down bag pretty soaked from the dew but it's still bone-dry on the inside. I suspect that the outer shell of a down sleeping bag is at least water-resistant to some extent.

The only time my down bag has become wet on the inside is when we had to sleep under an emergency shelter in a downpour. The tarp was not big enough to cover my entire sleeping bag and the part that was sticking out became a useless, heavy lump of down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Boerkie

More
25 Jun 2015 19:11 #64391 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Thamathu Pass
I recently took my mother most of the way to Thamathu Cave - part of her celebrations for being 6 years cancer free (she had stage 3 cancer in 2009). My mother might do a writeup, in which case I will post it here.

Nonetheless - there is a large rock that has always interested me on the ridge. Due to its shape and location, I always refer to it as "Mushroom on Thamathu". Here is a photo of my mother with it:

I was interested to see if I could get up it and, well:

The top is entirely stable, but it is an overhang the entire way round. The top lacks good handholds. The way I got up was to go round to the higher side, stood on the high rock quite close to the top and jumped up, rock marked with an X:

Sadly my mother didn't get as far as the cave, but she isn't a hiker and it was one of the hardest hikes she has ever done:

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fitness

More