Mlambonja Pass

03 May 2016 09:44 #68142 by supertramp
Replied by supertramp on topic Mlambonja Pass
Hi Firefish,

I've got a reliable track for Mlambonja pass. Send me a PM with your details and I'll send it to you.

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: firephish

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2016 10:51 #68145 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Mlambonja Pass
Here you go: www.movescount.com/moves/move101694019 - note that we lost the path for about 200m at the 2.8km mark of that track - take care in that section as there are a few false paths heading into the bush. It should be fine coming up.

You should be able to download the GPS track from there. Otherwise, drop me a PM and I can send a GPX file.
The following user(s) said Thank You: firephish

More
03 May 2016 11:51 #68148 by firephish
Replied by firephish on topic Mlambonja Pass
thanks guys, PM sent. :thumbsup:

More
04 Oct 2017 21:47 - 05 Oct 2017 07:24 #72221 by HannesT
Replied by HannesT on topic Mlambonja Pass
Shortly after you start going up the river, after leaving the contour path from One tree hill's side, the path makes a zig-zag up the side of the river. If you follow this you will find a clear path on top. It seemed to go in the wrong direction so we left it and ended up rock hopping for quite some time before finding the path again. Coming back down it is much easier to follow the correct path. The attached photo is my attempt to indicate this zig-zag on my GPS track plot.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 05 Oct 2017 07:24 by JonWells.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stijn

More
09 Oct 2017 09:03 #72242 by AdrianT
Replied by AdrianT on topic Mlambonja Pass
Interesting. If I recall we hiked a short bit on the river before heading up onto the path. Pretty similar but no real zig zag. Academic anyway :)

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
11 Dec 2017 20:47 #72485 by brettross32
Replied by brettross32 on topic Mlambonja Pass
Hi guys. Is the camp site therefore close to the river bed at C4?

More
11 Dec 2017 21:27 #72486 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Mlambonja Pass

brettross32 wrote: Hi guys. Is the camp site therefore close to the river bed at C4?

Yup, campsite is 10 to 15m away from the river, on the south bank

More
22 Aug 2018 15:42 #73857 by swordfish
Replied by swordfish on topic Mlambonja Pass
Question for those been up and down the pass recently - how badly burned up is the area around the path from the hotel?

More
27 Aug 2018 11:33 - 27 Aug 2018 11:37 #73875 by WarrenM
Replied by WarrenM on topic Mlambonja Pass

swordfish wrote: Question for those been up and down the pass recently - how badly burned up is the area around the path from the hotel?

I can only comment to a certain degree, yesterday I ran to the zig zags by Neptune pools and while there has been so small section burnt very close the the hotel the balance of that 5k stretch is not burnt at all, and for the better part that I can remember from the day before I don't recall the upper section above those zigzags not been burnt, however the north side of one tree hill ridge has been burnt extensively just about all the way from there up to Cathedral peak, and the areas around Cathedral peak is fairly burnt as well

From the sight of Mlambonja pass that I did get the top of the pass is burnt only as far down as about the saddle that heads over to twins cave, I don't think the rest of the pass is burnt, as the south side of one tree hill and heading towards the pass looked un-burnt.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2018 11:37 by WarrenM. Reason: Grammer

More
04 Apr 2019 15:51 #74869 by GriffBaker
Replied by GriffBaker on topic Mlambonja Pass
Hi Guys

Does anybody have a gpsĀ waypoint for a good flat camping/tenting area on the escarpment behind Mlambonja that can accommodate about 5 tents?

If I recall there is a good spot near the head of the Kwakwatsi but don't want to wander too far from the top of Mlambonja because we will be descending the following day.

Any info would be appreciated.

More