Sani Pass

04 Jul 2011 12:18 #3250 by Boerkie
Sani Pass was created by Boerkie
Can anyone please help answering these questions?

1.What is the current state of the pass?
2.Is it possible to drive to the top in a 4x2 SUV?
3.How technical is the drive, meaning can my wife with limited off road experiences safely negotiate the pass?

Thx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2011 18:49 #3251 by UnKnowN
Replied by UnKnowN on topic Sani Pass
Hi. I did the pass twice last year in my 4x2 hilux. I would be very hesitant in wet conditions, particularly in winter with snow and ice. I have read an article in drive out magazine, of a lady that did it by herself, in a fortuna (article didn't specify if it was 4x4 or not), in winter aswell, with ice. So anything is possible I suppose. You could probably find the article on drive outs web page.

More
04 Jul 2011 19:33 #3252 by UnKnowN
Replied by UnKnowN on topic Sani Pass

More
06 Jul 2011 02:45 #3266 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Sani Pass
I would agree with UnKnowN that a 4x4 is essential for icy, snowy and muddy conditions, the rest of the time a 4x2 with high clearance would do it. I wouldn't say the road is very technical but it does have some tight bends with rough bumps and exposure that does leave some people feeling uneasy. Phone Jonathan from Sani Top Chalet, or Sani Backpackers at the bottom, since they both have a daily gauge on the current conditions.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
06 Jul 2011 14:08 #3273 by Boerkie
Replied by Boerkie on topic Sani Pass
I think the best and safest bet would be for the girls to leave my bakkie at the bottom of the pass at Sani backpackers and hitch a hike with the quads to the top.

The best description of "mixed emotions" is when your mother law drives over a cliff in your new 4x4 :laugh: :angry: :) :(

Is it safe for the women to stay at the chalets on top while we hike from somewhere north/south and join them the next day?

More
07 Jul 2011 15:49 #3286 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Sani Pass
I think thats a good decision Boerkie.

It is safe for the women at the chalet. They can also get a ride with the tours that leave from the Sani Pass Backpackers.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More