Metjhatijhane Ridge

19 Jan 2018 08:48 #72666 by AndrewP
Metjhatijhane Ridge was created by AndrewP
This is the northernmost pass in the Maluti Drakensberg mountains and the westernmost pass in the Free State before crossing into Lesotho.

I followed this almost 2 years ago, having seen a GPS track that said it would go if I looked hard enough. I approached from the saddle at the Monantsa Border Post, having walked there from Golden Gate. The Monantsa border post is essentially at the height of the little berg, giving you a good head start to the climb ahead.

A few highways traverse along the ridge. Two prominent hills block the way. Paths will take you on either side of them. Your choice. I kept to the eastern side of the ridge, which is the South African side.

As you approach the final ridge, look for a big zig zag in the path to your right. Take this (recommended), or if you are lost in the mist like me, go left and up steep, dodgy gullies.

Once on top, look to your right at Metjhatijhane. Even if you are not interested in summits, khulus or other stats, this is the northernmost 3000m peak in the Maluti Drakensberg mountains. You are right here, get it. The views will make up for the effort.

From here any easy walk takes you to the top of Dagga Nek pass and the views of Kgotjwane falls.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, Stijn, ghaznavid, tonymarshall, Richard Hunt, Dave, WarrenM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More