Giant's Castle Pass

14 Nov 2017 07:22 - 14 Nov 2017 07:24 #72362 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Giant's Castle Pass
Hi Warren,

I have used the diagonal angle up and down the ridge (to/from the Giants Cave at the bottom of the pass) several times, and each time think next time I must use the river gully, which I will do if there is a next time. The ridge route may be a bit of a shortcut, but has no path, and the sustained sideslope takes it's toll on your feet and ankles. I haven't done the river route, but my assumption is that it would be about the same difficulty overall, but perhaps easier going without the sideslope.

I'm not sure which route you took back to Giant's Castle Pass from Giant's Castle, if you followed the escarpment and went over the peak (Giant's Pass Peak) immediately east of Giant's Castle Pass, then the gully down into Giant's Castle Pass between Giant's Castle and Giant's Pass Peak, is the variation AndrewP refers to. I can't remember there being a cairn there though.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2017 07:24 by tonymarshall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WarrenM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2017 08:04 #72363 by AndrewP
Replied by AndrewP on topic Giant's Castle Pass
Hello Warren

I cannot recall a cairn either.

There is only 1 break in the cliffs between the top of Giants Pass and the summit of Giants Castle, so you must have seen the top of the variation I did. I personally find scrambling up to be easier than scrambling down, so would rather go up the variation than down.

More
14 Nov 2017 08:22 #72365 by WarrenM
Replied by WarrenM on topic Giant's Castle Pass
Hi Andrew, Tony - thank you

On our return from Giant's Castle, we were close to the escarpment, and we only saw that one break in this cliffs, we were not sure if it was the only one as visibility was not great. There was definitely a cairn at the top of that variation.

Tony - On using the river route, this would be more challenging in summer, as you do cross the river a couple times and there was water fairly high this weekend. As we descended the pass with the path it definitely got easier the lower we went.

Thanks for the feedback, I look forward to heading back there, hopefully with clear skies so we can actually make out the variation when entering the pass.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tonymarshall, Iano2

More
15 Nov 2017 08:18 - 15 Nov 2017 08:19 #72374 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Giant's Castle Pass
The variation is very obvious in clear visibility conditions, it is to the left when going up Giant's Castle Pass, although the clear visibility would also result in most hikers being discouraged from even attempting it. There is another variation to the right too, when going up the pass, which is quite doable and you top out at Giants Summit Cave, although the gully continues up higher and would continue to be doable right to the top end. Andrew and I descended this variation in September. The two variations join the main pass at just about the same point, and there is a cave in the pass at the base of the variation to the right.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2017 08:19 by tonymarshall.

More