Bond Pass

13 Dec 2017 07:20 #72487 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Bond Pass
My wife and I spent the September long weekend at Giant’s Castle camp, where we enjoyed some easy walks, and on the Sunday I did a solo circuit up Bond Pass and down South Hlubi Pass.

Unlike the other group in the previous write up, I used Langalibalele Ridge to access Bond Pass, approaching from the north. It was a misty morning and I was mindful of the comments made by ghaz that the middle section of the pass could be tricky in the mist. The photo below shows the view back down the path up Langalibalele Ridge in the mist.

I turned left along the Contour Path, following it south and crossing the stream of Langalibalele Pass, and just under 1½ km from the Langalibalele Pass path I found myself at the gully of Bond Pass. The photo below shows the gully at the Contour Path, looking upwards into the mist. There is a low ridge up the centre of the gully, with a small valley on either side.

Following the low ridge seemed to be the logical thing to do, so I stayed on it heading up into the mist.

When the ridge ended, I continued up in the wide valley, the grass was quite wet but I could see that I would soon break through the mist as I approached the lower cliff line.

The mist was swirling about and didn’t co operate, and it was only much higher that I broke through above it, and it disappeared at my level, leaving me to realise that I was at the height of the grass ledge which would lead me up and around the large smooth cliff described by ghaz. The view to the south was fantastic, with the lower peaks below Giant’s Castle visible in the photo below, and I was sorry not to have seen this view from lower down.

I had negotiated the grass ledge system through the lower cliffs quite easily in the mist, and was passing the left upper edge of the large smooth cliff.

The photo below shows a view back down the gully I had ascended, from above the large smooth cliff.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Andreas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2017 08:01 #72488 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Bond Pass
There were still several minor rock bands above, which were easy to pass through using the grass ledges on either side. I went around the one in the photo below on the left (true right).

Then I did a bit of a traverse to the right (true left) back to the gully, around the corner which ghaz also referred to.

Once back in the gully the final slope to the top of the pass came into view.

A view back down the pass from high above the cloud, and view south along the escarpment.

Some easy scrambling to the top of the pass.

The view back down the gully from the top of Bond Pass.

I thought it appropriate to take a summit photo with Bond peak, after which the pass is named, in the background on the left. Potterill is the peak partially obscured behind Bond, and Mount Durnford is on the right.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, Stijn, JonWells, ghaznavid, Andreas, WarrenM, Iano2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More