Around The Corner Pass

30 Mar 2016 06:24 #67527 by Richard Hunt
Hi Guys. Was wondering if anyone has done the pass between Corner and Judges. As Elinda and myself were walking towards Judges we saw a well worn path going down the escarpment. On the contour path heading towards Corner we noticed this pass joined in at the bottom of Corner Pass. It seems it may be a quicker, easier and less eroded alternative pass to Corner and Judges.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2016 06:49 #67528 by Biomech
Replied by Biomech on topic Around The Corner Pass
Hi Richard. I think that this may be "Around The Corner Pass". Andrew P referenced it in his brief write up of the weekend trip, saying that he was keeping it in mind in case Corner got too crowded with the large group he was leading.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, Richard Hunt

More
30 Mar 2016 06:55 #67529 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Around The Corner Pass
Yup, its a smuggler made route which uses the NHA route, crosses the gully then heads up towards the south. So there are quite a few variations possible with Corner

More
30 Mar 2016 07:35 #67531 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Around The Corner Pass
This one:

It is Around the Corner Pass, as a few others have said. It is one of the few passes I have left at Giants Castle (I say one of the few because there are also variations on Giants Pass that have been used that I haven't done) - AndrewP did it to get to the resupply point on my GT with Hobbit last year. I have also looked down the front of the route from Judge Peak, and it looks like you can also take a direct route up the front of it.

The trail goes up NHA, crosses Corner Pass gully and then goes up to the top between the 2 passes.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
30 Mar 2016 07:37 - 30 Mar 2016 07:39 #67532 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Around The Corner Pass
Yes, it's Around the Corner Pass, as it's come to be known. I've never done it, but we saw the path when I did Corner Pass NHA with you and elinda in December 2013, and Tish who was with us then had done it before and described it as a lot easier than Corner Pass.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2016 07:39 by tonymarshall.

More
30 Mar 2016 13:01 #67538 by AndrewP
Replied by AndrewP on topic Around The Corner Pass
That is indeed Around The Corner Pass. If you approach the main gully of Corner Pass from the NHA, you have to go up the main gully for about 20m before breaking out on the other side.

The path winds its way up grassy slopes and threads its way through the various rock bands. You get 1 minor scramble that is easier and less exposed than the one on NHA.

I rate it as quicker than Corner Pass, but less fun.

More