Mkhomazi Pass

07 Feb 2019 23:22 - 07 Feb 2019 23:23 #74631 by intrepid
Mkhomazi Pass was created by intrepid
This is the official thread for Mkhomazi Pass which I will kick start with a bit of info and hopefully someone can expand on it.

This pass appears to have had some sort of bygone era. There is a broad, well beaten track that zig-zags its way up the pass and this is visible from a distance. However when we did this pass the zig-zags seemed to be somewhat grown over from disuse and the track was not as usable and easy hiking as what would might expect. Perhaps someone knows more about this?

This is a labelled view from Ngaqamadolo that I did some time ago and which was posted on another thread. If you look closely you can see some of the switch backs on the pass especially since the grass slopes had been burned:

We approached the pass from Birds Nest Cave. The ridge above the cave provides great panoramic views of the area though you are largely left to find your own way across to the actual pass. We did see a trail below us coming directly up the valley and this may well be the more straightforward approach.

The route basically ascends a broad grassy gully/valley and is reasonably straightforward.

A GPS track is available for download.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 07 Feb 2019 23:23 by intrepid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2019 16:25 #75403 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Mkhomazi Pass
On Saturday, Michael R, Johan and myself went up Mkomazi Pass. I have no clue why the map and all GPS tracks seem to go up from Birds Nest Cave (which is what we also did) - the river valley looks far easier and seems to have a trail.

Anyway - we slogged up the hill and then traversed into the Mkomazi River Valley and camped at 2300m next to the river. There was a good trail from when we hit the river to the top (well, it occasionally died, but not for long).

There were some horses grazing at the bottom of the pass, at the guy at the Vergelegen offices warned us that the pass is being used a lot by locals at the moment - although there wasn't much litter, so I don't think it is getting as much use as, say, Camel Pass.

The approach is fairly steep up the river bed, but once the zig-zags up the pass start, it is fairly gentle and you can actually get up pretty quickly.

The pass is right below Nhlangeni Peak, and the valley on the approach is really spectacular - although the pass itself isn't particularly interesting. It tops out right near Thabana Ntlenyana, although you would still have to slog 6km up about 600m of vertical to get there.

Full story at this link .

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." Douglas Adams

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

More
28 Oct 2019 16:27 #75404 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Mkhomazi Pass

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." Douglas Adams

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: MarkT, tonymarshall, Dave, GriffBaker

More