84 years young and still hiking in the Berg

19 Jul 2014 10:33 #61334 by intrepid
A few weeks ago, I was on a hike in the Mnweni (up Rockeries Pass down Mnweni Pass), which was a birthday trip for my friend Karen Hauptfleisch. She wanted to see the sunrise from Mponjwane Cave on the morning of her birthday. We had hoped for snow, and though it snowed in the midlands that weekend, the Northern Berg was dry. It was pretty cold though, with the freezing level starting well down in the valleys.

What was remarkable was that we were accompanied by Sarel van Rensburg, who is 84 years old! He has hiked in the Berg for many years and was still able to do this hike, though we took it very, very easy. He is probably the oldest person to have done this circuit!

When "Oom Sarel" was still in his seventies, I even went rock climbing with him and he did some of the leading!

Just shows, you are never too old to stay active in the mountains!

www.featsa.co.za/2014/07/84-and-hiking-mnweni/

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonWells, ruthtbl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2014 19:00 #61337 by Richard Hunt
Phewwww...really awesome!!! my dream is to be able to hike the high Berg at the age of 84. Chris it was great that you slowed down your pace and walked with Oom Sarel...priceless!!!

More
21 Jul 2014 08:18 #61340 by HFc
MAJOR Respect.... :thumbsup:

More
21 Jul 2014 08:32 #61342 by ghaznavid
Age is relevant for statistical purposes only. Someone once said "the key to long life is simple: do what you love and love what you do"

More
21 Jul 2014 18:13 #61346 by ASL
Impressive! I hope I'm still doing it when I'm that age! :lol:

More
22 Jul 2014 08:18 #61355 by intrepid
Paul Fatti was part of the group that I joined on the recent climb up Devil's Tooth and Tyrolean Traverse. He is 70 years old and has two artificial hips! Probably the oldest guy to have climbed the Tooth.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More