03 Sep 2015 13:35 #64933 by Riaang
Day 3 images:

The start of Mnweni pass. The top part is quite steep

First break going down

View out Westwards about halfway down Mnweni pass

Near the bottom of Mnweni pass

Pretty view once down in the valley

Nearing the end of the hike, close to the dirt road to the MCC

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, Smurfatefrog, AndrewP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2015 13:38 #64934 by Riaang
Just a note on the last two pics - they are looking towards Fangs pass, which is actually still a few kilometers from the dirt road. It just felt quite close after doing so many kilometers over the course of the weekend :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tonymarshall

More
03 Sep 2015 13:54 #64935 by elinda
Thanks so much for a wonderful write up and photos Riaang! I take my hat off to you and Sanet in doing Ifidi in one day with heavy packs - I did it a few years back but we stayed over in Grasscutters Cave the first night, and then went up Ifidi the following morning. It is an interesting pass - we stayed in the boulder bed all the way and did a fair bit of rock scrambling with assistance from the guys to get up those monster house sized boulders. I will be interested to hear your comments on Icidi when/if you do it....to my mind the meanest pass I have done in terms of bundu bashing.

Your Everest base camp trip sounds exciting - all the best and enjoy!

More
03 Sep 2015 15:14 #64937 by Riaang
Apologies for some misinformation, the cave close to Ifidi is actually Cycad cave and not Grascurters cave (Icidi) as mentioned in the Day 1 section :blush:

More
03 Sep 2015 15:18 #64938 by Riaang
Elinda, when I stood on top of the cliffs above Icidi and lookeed down into it, it certainly looked very imposing. On my list to do next year - need to explore some other areas of the Berg again, seems I battle to stay away from Mnweni :)

Toughest bundu bashing I've ever done in the Berg was at the bottom of Ships prow. If it is anything like that I'm in for an interesting hike - after Ships I had to visit the chiro as I put my back out with all the funny manouvers I had to do to get over/under/through/around all the undergrowth :eek:

More
03 Sep 2015 15:19 #64939 by elinda
Aaah...actually I was not sure whether it was Cycad or Grasscutters ( having stayed in both) and then after reading your report, thought it must be the latter. Thanks for clarifying! :)

More
03 Sep 2015 15:24 #64940 by elinda
I love the Mnweni area - we are planning to hike there end of Sept - Manxsome and Rwanqua Passes. Ready or not here we come..... :eek:

More
03 Sep 2015 15:52 #64943 by Riaang
Nice! Manxcome burned down over the weekend so it should be green by then.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
03 Sep 2015 15:58 #64944 by Riaang
Here you can see the top section a bit better

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
03 Sep 2015 16:16 #64945 by elinda
Thanks for the photos Riaang - the first one in particular gives a good idea of the route we need to follow to by pass the waterfalls at the bottom - sorry we are going off topic here! :ohmy:

More