Amphitheatre one-nighter

08 Oct 2014 09:46 #61996 by elinda
Replied by elinda on topic Amphitheatre one-nighter
I totally agree with Highlands Fanatics sentiments - the Berg has always been a place of spiritual retreat for me, no matter whether I am in the little Berg or up on the escarpment. Thanks for the write up LouisvV and well done on the first of many amazing berg adventures to come :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisvV, HFc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2014 11:42 #62003 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Amphitheatre one-nighter
Someone once asked me why I don't take up mountain guiding as a profession. The sentiment of HF and Elinda may sum it up quite well.

Some of my best mountain memories have been resting against my backpack and staring at the mountains for long periods of time. Stand out cases include above Madonna Pass on GT2012 (can't remember the exact location, it was near Rat Hole Cave), Popple after Gypaetus Pass and recently my lunch break near Mzimkhulu Pass. Real special moments that can only be understood by people who have experienced them.

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." Douglas Adams
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisvV, HFc

More
12 Oct 2014 09:28 - 12 Oct 2014 09:30 #62034 by LouisvV
Replied by LouisvV on topic Amphitheatre one-nighter
I'm totally hooked! Can't wait for the next trip to the Berg!

One question though, after we climbed up the chain ladder and started walking towards the Tugela, we came across these rock mounds:

What is this? There seem to be some felt-like material buried under some of them?

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 12 Oct 2014 09:30 by LouisvV. Reason: spelling

More
12 Oct 2014 09:46 #62035 by diverian
Replied by diverian on topic Amphitheatre one-nighter
It is erosion control. The small "dams" will slow down the stormwater flow and the ground in suspension will settle out and will fill up behind to gradually fill in the path that has become a donga. The material is a geofabric which will help stabilise the ground to form a foundation, they are graded to let only water and a certain particle size pass

More
12 Oct 2014 15:31 #62036 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Amphitheatre one-nighter

LouisvV wrote: I'm totally hooked! Can't wait for the next trip to the Berg!

I can't find the exact quote, but in one of Tolkien's books he wrote something along the following lines:
"never look a dragon in the eye, it will place you under its spell"

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." Douglas Adams
The following user(s) said Thank You: deszn

More
26 Oct 2014 20:16 - 27 Oct 2014 01:20 #62170 by LouisvV
Replied by LouisvV on topic Amphitheatre one-nighter
:thumbsup:
Last edit: 27 Oct 2014 01:20 by LouisvV. Reason: Text

More
11 Jun 2015 12:34 #64232 by saros
Replied by saros on topic Amphitheatre one-nighter
Thanks for the write up, really awesome. The stillness you referring to, I remember last year april I did the three pools hike by Garden Castle, as we started descending over the first hill the silence became deafening. First time I had experienced anything like that.

Wonderfull experience to have!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisvV

More