Downgraded Hike - salvaged into a day hike

07 Jan 2016 09:14 - 07 Jan 2016 09:18 #66325 by Coeta
In December I posed this in the upcoming hikes thread:

We are doing a one nighter from Sentinel, chain ladders up into the escarpment to as far as the collective legs will carry us, I am hoping for Ifidi area. 27-28 depending on a member it might be on 28-29.

That was already a downgrade from the original plan as we wanted a 3 nighter with start and return from Sentinel CP.
Due to issues beyond our control, we ended up with a 6 hour day excursion starting at Mahai RNNP, up to lookout point, Tiger Falls and a half hearted attempt at The Gorge. Underestimating the gradient and walk times (translated: fitness) made us turn around as hunger (of all things on a day hike) became an issue.

We were lucky enough to have had a rainy day on the 25th over night, so Tiger Falls was running, although it was the weakest I have seen for this time of year.

I flirted with the idea of posting this in the Epic Day hikes section, but that would have been a too obvious troll. :whistle:
Really hope to have a proper excursion.... soonTM.

Some pics of the day in the next post.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2016 09:18 by Coeta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2016 09:23 #66326 by ghaznavid
There's nothing wrong with having a chilled day in the mountains, sometimes it is better than a 50km day. Looking forward to photos.

Re epic day hikes: I posted about my day trip up Langies down South Hlubi in 2012 on that thread. If myself and Hobbit did that route again today, we could probably be back in time for lunch, AndrewP could probably do it before breakfast :laugh: - my point being that what is epic for one person is not necessarily epic for everyone.

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins

More
07 Jan 2016 10:56 - 07 Jan 2016 10:59 #66328 by Coeta
Some photos:

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 07 Jan 2016 10:59 by Coeta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid, andrew r, Biomech

More
07 Jan 2016 11:12 #66329 by ghaznavid
Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Tiger Falls was actually my first ever Berg hike. I was 7 at the time. I remember it being very long, but we didn't have a camera with us and I don't vaguely remember what anything looked like. Good to see water flowing over the falls though.

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins

More
07 Jan 2016 13:01 #66333 by Biomech
I love that little walk to Tiger Falls. Its a great walk for very young ones and very old ones to experience some time in the outdoors.

I once saw a jackal buzzard floating, stationary, on the wind on the path around to Tendele, walking back from Tiger Falls. It stayed in the exact same place for what must have been 5 minutes, just scanning for food. Amazing!

More
07 Jan 2016 13:10 #66335 by Biomech
Looks like some water coming over Gudu Falls too?

More
07 Jan 2016 13:13 #66337 by Coeta
Indeed!There was, and from what we saw it was a much stronger flow than Tiger.
The photo does not show that though.

More
07 Jan 2016 13:17 #66338 by Biomech
Ja, Gudu has a much bigger catchment, so it stands to reason. I have been at the bottom of it in full flow. Pretty spectacular!

More
07 Jan 2016 17:52 #66343 by Viking
Interesting about the falls. They were both dry on the 18th...

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More