Organ Pipes Pass- Mlambonja Pass Loop Trip Report

14 Sep 2015 19:18 #65085 by LouisvV
Thank you for the info guys!! :thumbsup:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2015 13:47 - 17 Sep 2015 13:48 #65129 by LouisvV
How long will it take roughly heading back to Didima from our campsite (between Cleft & Castle Buttress) via The Camel route / Tryme Hill?
Should we prepare for a long day out?
Last edit: 17 Sep 2015 13:48 by LouisvV.

More
17 Sep 2015 13:50 #65130 by Riaang
LouisvW,

Nope, not a long day out. Going up we started just after 7am and topped out just before 1pm with enough breaks inbetween and a comfortable pace, so going down should be quicker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisvV

More
17 Sep 2015 15:07 #65131 by Dillon
Took us between 4 and 5 hours to get back to Didima in July last year, and that was dragging a bunch of teenagers down the mountain too.
There is little to no water the whole way down and the Camel and the ridge below, so make sure you fill up on the escarpment before descending.

"Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous."
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisvV

More
29 Jan 2016 09:18 - 29 Jan 2016 09:24 #66731 by Stijn

JonWells wrote: Just after 9pm, we turned on our headlamps, and hit the trail towards our goal for night one, the old buildings near the base of Thuthumi Ridge. When I say hit the trail, of course I mean, stumble through dense, head high grass, trying to find a path leading to the road up Mike’s Pass. This short cut looked so simple on Google Earth, but as I I have learned many times, Google Earth can be deceiving!

Eventually we reached the road and followed it until the footpath veers to the left up the steep ridge to avoid the lengthy 3km hairpin bend that the road follows. We were surprised to immediately be faced with a fairly high vertical rock wall to be climbed. After checking that we hadn’t perhaps made a navigational mistake, I scrambled up to the top, found the path, and called the others up. A fairly simple climb in the end, just rather unexpected!

From here it was a pretty stiff uphill slog until we eventually rejoined the road at the top. An easy few last kilometres under bright moonlight saw us reach the old buildings at around 11.30pm where we settled in for the night.

Hi guys

A few questions for a light hike we are planning for next weekend:

- Does the old staff accommodation at the top of Mike's Pass provide enough shelter to leave our tents behind? We're in Roland's Cave the next night, so it would be great to go without a tent.

- Is there a reliable water source close to the old staff accommodation? Or should we carry in and fill up at the top of the Didima Gorge the next day?

- Is there hiker's parking at the bottom of Mike's Pass, or would you rather recommend parking at Didima and attempting the short-cut "path" you used (I presume it's the path heading directly across to the Mike'e Pass road from the dam at Didima)? We'll also be doing this in the dark.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2016 09:24 by Stijn.

More
29 Jan 2016 09:39 #66732 by Smurfatefrog

Stijn wrote:
Hi guys

A few questions for a light hike we are planning for next weekend:

- Does the old staff accommodation at the top of Mike's Pass provide enough shelter to leave our tents behind? We're in Roland's Cave the next night, so it would be great to go without a tent.

It wouldn't protect you much from heavy rain, a bit of light rain would be ok with people sleeping in covered corners

Stijn wrote: - Is there a reliable water source close to the old staff accommodation? Or should we carry in and fill up at the top of the Didima Gorge the next day?

Yes, the Ndumeni river is about 200m away. Easiest is to go a little upstream above the waterfall by the weir. You might also find water at a stream a little past the hut, you can see a path heading here on GE

Stijn wrote: - Is there hiker's parking at the bottom of Mike's Pass, or would you rather recommend parking at Didima and attempting the short-cut "path" you used (I presume it's the path heading directly across to the Mike'e Pass road from the dam at Didima)? We'll also be doing this in the dark.

Ja, just wing it from Didima car park. We didn't find the paths but once you get out of the bushy & steep area by the river its just a grass slope so no major problems.
Just remember to take the hikers path around -28.951843 29.237732

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Stijn

More
29 Jan 2016 09:44 - 29 Jan 2016 09:46 #66733 by JonWells
Hey Stijn

Yes the old staff accommodation should be fine to spend the night. I seem to remember the roof having some holes, but I would think it should have enough to keep you dry if it rains.

There is a small stream running very close to the building, so with the recent rains, I'm sure this would be flowing. (-28.990214° 29.230383°)

We parked at Didima, and did a fair amount of bush whacking to get onto Mike's Pass. I'm sure if it had been daytime we could have found a much easier route. Below is the route we took:

Edit: I see Smurf beat me to it :laugh:

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 29 Jan 2016 09:46 by JonWells.

More
29 Jan 2016 09:48 - 29 Jan 2016 09:50 #66735 by Viking
The small building between the two has a full roof and the Western most building has some roofing.
I would however not trust the structural integrity of the roofing during any wind.

I have a track for that section you will be doing at night. We did it late afternoon in the light and chose the best line from Didima. PM me with your email if you want it.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”
Last edit: 29 Jan 2016 09:50 by Viking. Reason: c

More
29 Jan 2016 09:57 #66736 by Stijn
Thanks for the quick and helpful replies guys! One of the best things about this forum... 3 separate replies about a fairly obscure route within 30 minutes. Mind = blown! :thumbsup:

More