Organ Pipes Pass Loop

01 Oct 2015 08:01 - 01 Oct 2015 08:03 #65255 by LouisvV
Hey guys,

Here is a short write-up I did on our recent trip in the Berg, I will try and put something more substantial together over the weekend (with more photos).But for those who can't wait, here is something so long:

Drakensberg Hike #2

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 01 Oct 2015 08:03 by LouisvV.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, Smurfatefrog, Biomech

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2015 08:36 #65257 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Organ Pipes Pass Loop
Great pics - well done!

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More
01 Oct 2015 08:57 #65258 by Biomech
Replied by Biomech on topic Organ Pipes Pass Loop
Looks like a fantastic weekend. How far is it up to the Old Fire Lookout?

More
01 Oct 2015 09:36 #65259 by Dillon
Replied by Dillon on topic Organ Pipes Pass Loop
Well done Louis!

And nice meeting you up there, glad you guys made it down ok - that was a ridiculously hot day descending the Camel!

"Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous."
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisvV

More
01 Oct 2015 09:53 #65260 by LouisvV
Replied by LouisvV on topic Organ Pipes Pass Loop
Dillon, THANK YOU for setting our minds at ease on that dodgy section on the Camel and guiding us through it. I'm glad we took the Ribbon Falls route - the water stop for lunch was very much needed on that hot day. The staff at Didima said it was not supposed to be that hot this time of year. Must say we suffered a bit going down. All in all an awesome experience.

More
01 Oct 2015 10:05 #65261 by LouisvV

Biomech wrote: Looks like a fantastic weekend. How far is it up to the Old Fire Lookout?

I measured 7.41km from where we got dropped off on Mike's Pass to the hut. The views from there is really something!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Biomech

More
01 Oct 2015 10:13 #65263 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Organ Pipes Pass Loop

LouisvV wrote: The staff at Didima said it was not supposed to be that hot this time of year.

This weekend was easily the hottest I have ever been in the Berg. I have seen the escarpment dryer before, but never been that hot up there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeonS

More
03 Oct 2015 15:49 #65289 by LouisvV
On 24 September my wife and I left Pretoria early heading to KZN for our second Drakensberg hike. This time we thought we would do a 3 day 2 night hike. We arrived around midday in Didima and signed the mountain register. By now, the temperatures were already in the 30's and we kitted up and took a chance of finding out if we could at least get a lift to the staff accommodation where we would start our hike up the pass. A very friendly man at the Didima cultural & rock art centre (Juale? I think) arranged to drop us off.

With heavy packs and a blistering sun on our backs our hike started with a steep climb.

Once on top of the pass we stopped for our first of many water breaks on this hot day, gazing up to the Berg in all its beauty. My wife also had to patch up her foot as her new boots started to make a blister on her ankle.

We could see a faint spot in the distance on the ridge that would be the Old Fire Lookout - a very intimidating view of what still lies ahead.

You can see the MET Station to your left of the road, the old staff accommodation in the center and the Old Fire Lookout on the Ridge

A closeup of the hut on the ridge

We stopped at the old staff buildings for a snack and to take a break from the heat. We then went on to climb the never-ending ridge towards the hut.

After 4hours of walking we got to the hut. What a view from here!

A storm was brewing in the distance and the wind started to pick up. We could lightning strikes and decided to pitch our tent in the hut should it make a turn towards us.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ASL

More
03 Oct 2015 16:11 #65290 by LouisvV
The storm dissipated and we enjoyed the sun setting over the Berg. This place is magical!

After a clear and windless night we woke up early to watch the sun rise over KZN.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Smurfatefrog, Drakensbergie, Dillon, andrew r

More
03 Oct 2015 16:18 #65291 by Dillon
Replied by Dillon on topic Organ Pipes Pass Loop
Really great pics Louis!

"Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous."
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisvV

More