hike report didima gorge and dome

02 Jul 2018 13:19 - 02 Jul 2018 13:55 #73662 by Gkotzee
My wife and two intrepid Durbanites (Brendon "the Drill Sergeant" and Douglas "I'm not Afrikaans" De Jager) did an awesome hike in the Didima area. We left our cars at Monk's Cowl and took a shuttle to Solar Cliffs, from there we went up Didima Gorge, camped and went up Tlanyaku pass, camped again and then came down via Grays. I thought I'd share two of Brendon's photos (the others are equally awesome). The escarpment in this area doesn't seem to be very popular, though I can't imagine why

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 02 Jul 2018 13:55 by JonWells.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonWells, ghaznavid, AdrianT, Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2018 14:53 #73663 by firephish
Beautiful pics.

I'm interested in the shuttle from MC -> Didima, is it a regular thing or did you have to specially ask them to organise, also how much per person do they charge?

More
02 Jul 2018 19:24 #73665 by Gkotzee
We used Golf Got U (their no is on google), R850 for the four of us and we were dropped off almost opposite the field ranger's post, would certainly recommend them
The following user(s) said Thank You: firephish

More
03 Jul 2018 08:59 #73666 by Brendon
It was a stunning route. 

More
03 Jul 2018 12:12 - 03 Jul 2018 12:17 #73667 by ghaznavid

Gkotzee wrote: The escarpment in this area doesn't seem to be very popular, though I can't imagine why

Probably because it is a mission to get to, and most people aren't aware of it as most GT lines take the Yodeler's Valley - which is one of the most boring sections of a traverse. Since Tony recommended the Didima Dome line to me, and Andrew and I used it on my 3rd GT, I have never used the Yodeler's Cascades route again, and don't intend to. Admittedly the climb from behind Tlanyako Pass (roughly 2650m) to the Yodeler's/Nkosasana Trail (at roughly 3300m) is a monster, and is insanely steep by escarpment standards - I still rate it as faster than the much longer, and often full of dogs, Yodeler's Cascades route.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2018 12:17 by ghaznavid. Reason: Clarification

More
03 Jul 2018 15:50 #73668 by timoross
How was the water? Where did you get water from?

More