How not to do Rhino Pass!!!

24 Mar 2014 09:59 - 24 Mar 2014 10:01 #59944 by Selous
Hi All

Yesterday myself and a mate of mine set off to go up Rhino and down Verkyker Pass from his Berg cottage which is situated just below the Beacon to the right of Lake Naverone. I knew the best route was to ridge it from the Beacon all the way up to below Rhino Peak and then contour into the actual pass. However, I was quite keen to try and tackle the pass via the trubutary that flows into the Mzimkulu River at junction G5. Thinking that there might be a path up that way. Well was I wrong and got taught a lesson to stick to the known routes.

I was up 2a.m. I left my farm at 2:45a.m. and made good time picking my mate, Ryan up at 3a.m. in Pietermaritzburg. We arrived at the his Berg cottage just after 5a.m. and we set off at 5:30am. We made good progress over the topography that separates the Thukelana and Mzimkulu Rivers and we were at the G5 junction at 8a.m.

I was happy with our pace and we were on track. Well as we turned up the Rhino Tributary our pace slowed considerably. There is no path and we were taking one step forward and three side ways. We progressed slowly along the left hand bank making our way higher and higher through and between sandstone bass of rock. We decided not to go through the river bed as that looked even more time consuming way.

We got blocked at numerous routes and had to make our way into gullies that were interesting and challenging. As I am getting older I am finding rock scrambles are making my knees go weak like jelly.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 24 Mar 2014 10:01 by Selous. Reason: spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2014 10:30 #59945 by Selous
Replied by Selous on topic How not to do Rhino Pass!!!
By 12pm, my ankles were about to leave my body and run away and having been thwarted at various ways up the valley we changed our objective and decided to explore a side valley. I have always wanted to do this and this change in plans allowed us to do this.

At the top of the valley we had some spectacular views of the Southern Berg from Rhino to Mineret.

More
24 Mar 2014 10:33 - 24 Mar 2014 10:38 #59946 by Selous
Replied by Selous on topic How not to do Rhino Pass!!!

We then made our way down one of the ridges to the area called three pools. Wow what a place for kids and families.

We were back at the car at the civilised time of 3p.m. having covered 23Km. :)

Regards
Selous

Last edit: 24 Mar 2014 10:38 by Selous. Reason: no Photo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, JonWells, ghaznavid, PeterHowells, tonymarshall, pfoj, HFc, Captain, ruthtbl

More
25 Mar 2014 10:17 #59980 by elandman
Thanks for sharing. Awesome pics

More
25 Mar 2014 17:28 #60007 by HFc
Replied by HFc on topic How not to do Rhino Pass!!!
Still a good day in the Berg!

Nice photos and I guess the old saying, 'nothing ventured, nothing gained' applies. Sometimes the route less traveled works out beautifully, sometimes it doesn't. As long as one knows when to back out, as you guys did.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Selous

More
25 Mar 2014 20:46 #60020 by intrepid
Gosh, I have thought about that approach before, glad I didn’t try it. Sorry it didn’t work out for you, but good effort anyway.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
25 Mar 2014 22:25 #60023 by ghaznavid
Sometimes a successful day in the mountains is one where you get to explore a spot you don't know. Missing a goal isn't always a failure - or at least that is what I keep telling myself :laugh:

More
26 Mar 2014 02:09 #60025 by Serious tribe
A bad day in the mountains, still beats a good day in the office, ;)

More