Royal Natal National Park hikes

14 Jan 2013 22:49 #55870 by Stockhausen
Thanks kliktrak!

That sounds all straightforward. It looks like Mahai is closer, but if Tendele is only a little bit further below the Dooley ridge, then we'd probably prefer to walk out from the chalet - it is nice not to go near the car during a 5 night stay!
The following user(s) said Thank You: kliktrak

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2013 15:32 #55874 by HFc
Replied by HFc on topic Royal Natal National Park hikes
Loveliest accommodation there is, Thendele. You will most definitely enjoy it.

More
16 Jan 2013 13:33 #55886 by Stockhausen
Thendele is amazing! Cannot wait to go again...

More
03 Sep 2015 13:28 #64931 by daveconwaykzn
The family and I will be at Mahai campsite this coming weekend, we want to do Tugela Gorge hike on Saturday and thinking of Gudu falls on Sunday morning, any other suggestions for a 3-4 hour there and back before we go home?

More
14 Jan 2016 20:07 #66484 by ChrisPatient
Have any of you Berg "fundies" out there done this hike or know anything about it?

It is a fantastic day hike from Mahai campsite or from The Cavern Resort, culminating in a spectacular viewpoint from Broom Hill.
I stumbled upon it by looking at one of The Cavern Hotel's old hiking maps. It seemed to be a bit of a legendary lost trail and not many people knew about it. Megan from The Cavern said she had been to the hole in the wall but had not been up and over to complete the route. Ephraim, the hiking guide at the hotel, said he had only done it once by special request, and had had to search for it.
Not knowing what to expect it took me some effort to find it myself.
The key is to walk towards the Royal Natal National Park Grotto and then just before you go into the forest keep on the right hand side of the river and head up on the edge of the forest to the sandstone barrier which is part of Castle Rocks. There you will see some cairns and painted on a cliff in the bush are the words: "to the hole and up".
It was all a bit like a treasure hunt. The bizarre thing was I found an old concrete sign at the bottom of the route which said "HOLE IN THE" and at the top of the gully, which you have to climb after crawling through the hole, another one that said "WALL".
It must have once been an official route. Maybe it is time to put it back on the map.

The Hole in The Wall

The concrete sign found near the grotto

Sign at the top of the gully

Crawling through The Hole In The Wall

Climbing the gully above the hole in the wall to access the top of the little berg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kbresler

More
14 Jan 2016 20:13 #66485 by Papa Dragon
I don't know about the others, but I can't see any pics, Chris.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChrisPatient

More
14 Jan 2016 20:20 #66486 by ChrisPatient
oops .... here are the photos that were supposed to be attached! :P

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DeonS, kbresler, supertramp, Papa Dragon

More
14 Jan 2016 20:49 #66487 by DesPorter
That hike is listed in the old RNNP booklet of hikes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChrisPatient

More
18 Jan 2017 17:51 #70684 by tiska
Inspired by the success of shadowravenn's search for the mystery cave, I have a similar problem to put to the VE community.

Ages ago, when I was very much following rather than taking the kind of notice I do now, we exited what I think was the bottom end of the Grotto gorge in RNNP and made our way up the little Berg to Broome Hill. I remember backtracking down from the head of the 'gorge' at the grotto some way and, I think, finding a way out on the south side of the valley. The thing about the exit is that it was via some short steel ladder or set of pegs.

I was hoping to have a look this last December, but ran out of time. I did manage to find the hole in the wall exit which is to the north and threads through the sandstone outside the Grotto Valley itself.

Does anyone know about the artificial exit via the pegs or ladder?

More