The Mt Aux Sources - Amphitheatre - Tugela thread

26 Feb 2018 13:49 #72867 by DC72
I'm looking at doing some altitude training this Thursday and Friday. Going up the chain ladders on Thu PM, tent camping overnight and then heading back Fri PM. There will just be two of us. Is security still a concern?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2018 22:19 #73098 by ghaznavid
So the rumour goes that the chain ladders are being removed permanently and Beacon Buttress Gully is being concreted. This news was post midday, so it theoretically shouldn't be an April Fools Day joke - but you never know.

Anyone have any confirmed information on this?

If this does in fact happen - that adds roughly an hour to a DGT record attempt, and presumably the rules would have to be amended to allow for this.

More
02 Apr 2018 07:52 - 02 Apr 2018 07:53 #73099 by Stijn
Well the inclusion of the Chain Ladders as a required route up is pretty redundant anyway, since the prescribed start is Sentinel Car Park and 1st checkpoint is Mont-aux-Sources.

So Beacon Buttress Gully would be the next obvious choice if the Chain Ladders are out of action.. (or I could make you trad climb the face where the ladders are :evil:)

But no, you don't get an extra hour since that would be like claiming extra time for an afternoon thunderstorm ;)
Last edit: 02 Apr 2018 07:53 by Stijn.

More
02 Apr 2018 08:10 #73100 by ghaznavid
To clarify - I don't mean people attempting it would get more time, but it would make the record harder to beat.

More
04 Apr 2018 10:20 #73105 by AdrianT
The chain ladders are closed until the end of May. They are being replaced not removed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian, Andreas, TheRealDave, WarrenM

More
04 Apr 2018 15:10 #73110 by ghaznavid
Witsieshoek just posted this.
www.witsieshoek.co.za/blog/amphitheater-chain-ladders-being-replaced

The source I had for the information said they were not certain that new ladders would be put up. I see Witsieshoek is saying that they definitely will.

Makes sense that they would need to be replaced from time to time. Hopefully the new ladders won't have that buckled bit where you can barely get your foot onto the rung!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andreas, WarrenM

More
04 Apr 2018 16:14 #73112 by WarrenM
Thanks Ghaz - I also ask Witsies, and they sent me the below, it is the same as their post on their website

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
11 Apr 2018 10:36 #73168 by Super_mil
I was up there yesterday (10 April 2018) and after signing in at the end of the road I did ask the chap there if the chain ladders were open and I was told that they were indeed open.
At the split where one would head up the gully or continue along to the chain ladders the following sign has been erected.

Heading up the gully I noticed that there are a number of bolts with hangers near the top of the gully. What is the purpose of these bolts?

After getting to the top and getting up a bit quicker than expected I figured I'd go look to see if the chain ladders were blocked on top with a similar sign as the one above. There is no signage on top, so hikers who do not head up from Witsieshoek will head down the chain ladders unknowingly. All 4 of the original ladders are still in place and there was nothing indicating that any work on the new ladders has been initiated.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: AdrianT, TheRealDave, GriffBaker, WarrenM

More
23 Apr 2018 11:52 #73265 by ivan
Any comments on whether it would be okay to camp a night near the Tugela Falls over the long weekend with a group of four people.

More
23 Apr 2018 12:49 #73266 by ivan
How is the security situation for 4 people to camp one night near Tugela falls over the long weekend?

More