Highmoor day hikes

03 Jan 2012 07:56 #5194 by ghaznavid
Highmoor day hikes was created by ghaznavid
I went to Highmoor for the first time yesterday. I was not previously aware that there was a reserve that had its car park on the small berg escarpment, it was definately a scenic place to go hiking. The reserve doesn't seem to have difficult routes, but is scenic and peaceful - definately worth a visit.

We did the route that goes towards Giants Castle, stopped halfway through that small bit of Lotheni that is between Highmoor and Giants Castle. We saw over 20 blesbok (didn't know you got these in the berg) and got many photos of the flowers, an eagle even decided to hover dirrectly over my head, always good when wildlife poses for photos :)

I will upload some photos later in the month...

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bigsnake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2012 10:30 #5196 by kliktrak
Replied by kliktrak on topic Highmoor day hikes
Yeah its a great area lots to explore and a few "hidden" caves with great san paintings in them. Aasvoelkrans cave is also spectacuular with its waterfall and pool, great for summertime and only 3km from the parking.

More
15 Feb 2017 12:22 #70891 by Redshift3
Replied by Redshift3 on topic Highmoor day hikes
Any info on the Highmoor area?
Its my first visit to this part of the Berg. I'm taking my wife camping in March to KZN Highmoor Camp, we will only do day walks and use Highmoor as a base.
I have read up on Aasvoelkraans Cave (paintings) and Caracal Cave, ruins and an awesome lookout.

Am I missing anything, any sugestions from those who have been there before?

Regards,
Redshift

“You need special shoes for hiking — and a bit of a special soul as well.”
Terri Guillemets

More
15 Feb 2017 13:48 #70894 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Highmoor day hikes
Have a look on Dave Schlanders site, he has quite a few Highmoor write ups
www.bergfree.co.za/newsletters.htm

More
15 Feb 2017 16:10 #70898 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Highmoor day hikes
I took my mother up Mount Lebanon once - it is one of the highest points in the nature reserve, about 11km round trip, mostly on trails. Quite a pleasant walk as well.

Highmoor is generally very flat, full of animals (far more than anywhere else in the Berg, in my experience), and has plenty of great views of the escarpment in the distance. Walking around with no goal in mind is an entirely great way to spend a day there!

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins

More
03 Jan 2019 11:07 - 03 Jan 2019 11:31 #74435 by Dave
Replied by Dave on topic Highmoor day hikes
I visited Highmoor with some friends in December - as previous posts have said, pretty scenery (panoramic view of Giant's Castle), large caves, short hikes. Our plan was to stay in both Aasvoëlkrans and Caracal Cave, but we got caught in a lightning storm (properly scary when you're exposed) and the weather remained wet for the rest of the trip, so we decided to stay two nights in Aasvoëlkrans, which is easily the nicest cave I've stayed in, bar perhaps Whyte's. Aasvoëlkrans is also unusual in being a double-storey cave - we stayed one night in each storey - so there is plenty of space.

The state of the road to Highmoor from Rosetta / Mooiriver is concerning: it's a 100 km/h road and you seldom get above 60. The area mostly consists of farms and trout dams, so tourism can't be huge, but I do worry about the impact this has on the future of less salient areas like Highmoor. The dirt road, which is only 12 or 15 kms long but very stony, is also extremely slow in a hatchback/sedan. Still, there were lots of day-hikers and cavers.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 03 Jan 2019 11:31 by Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hikingle, tonymarshall

More
03 Jan 2019 19:32 #74438 by Richard Hunt
Replied by Richard Hunt on topic Highmoor day hikes
Highmoor is one of my favorite places. The Mooi River valley and Mooi River which starts just below Giants Castle is also a great spot together with a cave full of amazing San art...huge open grass plains and big skies make this area very Moorish!

More
06 Jan 2019 09:26 #74459 by Richard Hunt
A great Highmoor day hike is to visit the Mooi River valley. It is a 13.5 km loop and in the Mooi River valley there is Kranz Cave with nice paintings. Here are some photos to wet your appetite. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Redshift3

More
06 Jan 2019 09:29 #74460 by Richard Hunt
More Photos of the Highmoor/Mooi River Valley day hike...….

The following user(s) said Thank You: intrepid, hikingle, MarkT, Redshift3, Dave, GriffBaker, WarrenM

More