Mnweni Marathon

05 Sep 2017 18:22 #72091 by Rhinoandhedgehog
Replied by Rhinoandhedgehog on topic Mnweni Marathon

tonymarshall wrote: Guessing you'll be back......

Teehee at first I might have answered "No" but now that a few days have past, I can feel an urge to do it again building far quicker than expected!
Watch this space is all I can say. For any one who is interested my track is here along with some pictures.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2017 10:09 #72094 by HenkSeevinck
Replied by HenkSeevinck on topic Mnweni Marathon
What is the best way to prepare for the Mnweni Marathon? Thinking of doing it next year but would need to seriously upgrade my exercise plan.

More
06 Sep 2017 16:32 #72097 by Macc
Replied by Macc on topic Mnweni Marathon

HenkSeevinck wrote: What is the best way to prepare for the Mnweni Marathon? Thinking of doing it next year but would need to seriously upgrade my exercise plan.

Guess it depends on how 'well' you want to do in the race?

"The three rules of mountaineering: It’s always further, taller and harder than it looks."

More
06 Sep 2017 17:33 #72098 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Mnweni Marathon

HenkSeevinck wrote: What is the best way to prepare for the Mnweni Marathon? Thinking of doing it next year but would need to seriously upgrade my exercise plan.

Run up and down a few passes, that should do it :lol:

Best hill training plan ever: www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/10-drakensberg-peaks/55710-hill-training.html

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

More
06 Sep 2017 18:44 #72099 by Rhinoandhedgehog
Replied by Rhinoandhedgehog on topic Mnweni Marathon

I am no authority on the subject but I did spend a lot of time doing hills on my early morning runs (in Kloof, we have some pretty decent hills) but nothing fully prepared me (and I have seen a few passes in my time) for what the special Mnweni Pass had install for me between 17km and 20km. A long answer to a short question... the short answer HILLS HILLS HILLS... stairs two by two oh and add some hills. That aught to do it...

More
07 Sep 2017 06:36 #72100 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Mnweni Marathon
Hi Henk,

See the earlier pages of this thread for lots of information.

Hiking and spending long days on your feet in the mountains is probably the best way to train for MM, doing a few passes. Use the public holiday long weekends in the months before the (May) MM to do this. For a better time, under 8 hours, you will also need to do some running training if you are not a runner.

More
08 Jan 2018 15:53 #72596 by HenkSeevinck
Replied by HenkSeevinck on topic Mnweni Marathon
Hey all,

Anybody aware of the 2018 Mnweni marathon arrangements, where we can enter and where we can book accommodation?

Regards

Henk

More
08 Jan 2018 16:20 #72597 by AdrianT
Replied by AdrianT on topic Mnweni Marathon

HenkSeevinck wrote: Anybody aware of the 2018 Mnweni marathon arrangements, where we can enter and where we can book accommodation?

Nothing on the website that typical shows it:
trailrunning.co.za/events/

Best to contact them I guess. I found nothing via Google either. And not via Facebook either bar your post last year on training ;)

More
08 Jan 2018 17:38 #72598 by WarrenM
Replied by WarrenM on topic Mnweni Marathon
Hey Guys

Bruce generally opens entries around 1 Feb, when I see the entries open I will post the link.

With regards to accommodation, there is no booking arrangements if you camp at the start ( Mnweni Cultural Centre), just arrive find a spot to put your tend down and pay the centre their camping fee. If you want to use their basic rondavels then give MCC a call directly to book those.

Otherwise there is other accommodation outside of the Mnweni area, ie, Bergville, the central berg area or Northern Berg and that is really up to you as to where you stay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Macc

More
01 Feb 2018 11:53 - 01 Feb 2018 11:54 #72753 by Macc
Replied by Macc on topic Mnweni Marathon

"The three rules of mountaineering: It’s always further, taller and harder than it looks."
Last edit: 01 Feb 2018 11:54 by Macc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarkT, tonymarshall, AndrewP, WarrenM

More