BikeRafting Lesotho

02 Mar 2020 12:54 #75729 by vivo101
BikeRafting Lesotho was created by vivo101
I have been staring at blue lines on a map for a while now with the idea of a bikerafting trip in Lesotho. The idea is to raft from where the Kubelu river starts at the back of Mont-Aux-Sources to where it crosses the A1, with a bike strapped to the raft. Then from there to pack up the raft and cycle back to Afriksi. 

I have no experience with the Kubelu river further down from Mont-Aux-Sources, but from what I can see on satellite images, it looks decent enough to raft. I do not mind to portage a couple of sections or waterfalls. Does anyone have experience with the river lower down?

I'm planning on post rainy season February/March 2021 while the river is at its highest, but not in flood, to maximize the probability of rafting the entire section. 

I would highly appreciate any feedback if rafting the river is even possible. 

Thanks

"To those who are enthralled by mountains, their wonder is beyond all dispute. To those who are not, their allure is a kind of madness." - Mountain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2020 09:04 - 04 Mar 2020 09:05 #75737 by firephish
Replied by firephish on topic BikeRafting Lesotho
That would be a pretty epic trip. I have fished  several km upstream and downstream of Letseng, this was in April a few years ago.

This section has great fly fishing for trout, but i would say it would need to have been a very wet year to raft from this area to the A1. When I was their The river is characterized by many pools  with riffles / trickles between them that you would need to drag your raft through ... maybe it would get better lower down as more water joins the system?

But my impression is that lots of rowing / dragging would be required, might be  better to consider doing this in an ARK type inflatable?
Last edit: 04 Mar 2020 09:05 by firephish.

More
09 Mar 2020 12:38 #75759 by vivo101
Replied by vivo101 on topic BikeRafting Lesotho
It might be worth while starting at the confluence of the Khubedu and Orange Rivers. Thanks for the advice.

I'm have order a DIY packraft kit from the states and will be building one myself over the next couple of months. It's identical to the Alpaca Mule, but at a fraction of the price. Weighs 3.5kg, with a bombproof 1000D floor, rolls  up to the size of a sleeping bag. Will look something similar to this when finished.

Does anyone know where I can find decent Topographic maps of Lesotho without having to pay $15 per area?

"To those who are enthralled by mountains, their wonder is beyond all dispute. To those who are not, their allure is a kind of madness." - Mountain

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
09 Mar 2020 21:00 - 10 Mar 2020 08:57 #75760 by firephish
Replied by firephish on topic BikeRafting Lesotho
Looks like a cool craft! I would offer to join,  but would probably drive you mad by stopping to fish every few km's ..

There are some options re the maps in this thread:

www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/23-lesotho-general/55458-lesotho-1-50000-topographic-maps.html?start=0
Last edit: 10 Mar 2020 08:57 by firephish.

More