Cellphone Camera Category 2018

13 Feb 2019 12:56 #74652 by elinda
Great photo Getapix - my favourite out of all the great entries!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2019 15:44 #74653 by GetaPix

elinda wrote: Great photo Getapix - my favourite out of all the great entries!

Thanks Elinda. Glad you liked it. We all seem to share the same passion. Exploring the berg with camera in hand.

More
26 Feb 2019 00:22 #74679 by intrepid
We have been running these photo competitions now since 2010. In 2016 the competition was given the title Essence of the Dragon , with the mission statement:

Essence Of The Dragon is a photo competition hosted by Vertical Endeavour featuring images of the Maloti-Drakensberg Mountains - showcasing their splendour & unique character, towards better recognition of their worth & enhanced enjoyment of those who explore them.

I think by the quality of all of the entries and the enthusiasm behind them, that we are capturing the essence of this Dragon that so enchants us, and fulfilling that mission statement! Through the years we have tried to come up with different themes, some of them quite challenging, which focused on a particular characteristic of this Dragon. The rounds were quarterly up until 2018 which was the first time we ran the rounds on an annual basis with much simpler categories, giving the older format a break.

What do people think of the current annual format? Do you want to shorten the duration of the rounds to say, bi-annual, or should we keep it to annual for another year?

What themes do you want? A "Pools and Peaks" theme has been suggested to me. Anything else?

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
26 Feb 2019 12:43 #74685 by GetaPix
From my side I believe we should have this more frequently. Not many photographers here but I do believe that these entries do spark more interest as well as posting of images. If quarterly is to frequent at least Bi-annual. Being annually really is to long and becomes a drag. Pools and Peaks is a very good suggestion. Perhaps themes can also become more specific in order to get more diverse range of photos otherwise we simply get photos of mountains with the odd case where plants etc are included. If the competitions are more frequent one can for example get it right down to a specific plant that get the attention - Eg. Cycad or Sugar bush/Protea etc. There's no Money or prizes involved so even if we get fewer entries on a subject, at least we have photos on the portfolio that covers the berg in all it's aspects and elements.

As the web site grows, so will the entries as well as eyes in the mountains. Everybody takes photos and Im sure there are many others considering entry...

More
27 Feb 2019 08:19 #74689 by Macc
Replied by Macc on topic Cellphone Camera Category 2018
Yeah, what he said...

I found that having a whole year meant I would get to it at some point and then never did. Also, the open categories seem to limit things strangely...you can take a pic of anything, but the likes of a smokey escarpment sunrise shot with trump any photo of a fern so we eliminate a lot of potential variation.

"The three rules of mountaineering: It’s always further, taller and harder than it looks."

More
02 Mar 2019 02:46 #74703 by intrepid
Thanks for the responses so far.

When we made a change to a simple, annual format in 2018, we were measuring the level of interest by the number of entries and the number of votes per image, which were on the slow side towards the end of 2017. To a degree the level of interest was also gauged by subjective impressions. We thought it good to make a change to try and keep it fresh. Understandably, when you run something over a number of years, interest and enthusiasm fluctuates.  My own impression is that the number of entries and participation in voting does show some improvement in this simpler format. On the other hand I also feel that the annual basis is a rather long period of time, so I'd say at the very least that we can do bi-annual rounds. I am also happy to do the quarterly rounds again, though I'd prefer that to be driven by demand, so for those that want that frequency, please let us hear your thoughts!

As for themes, I also thought that very specific ones were interesting and challenging and that it made you look at the Berg from new perspectives. However I think it makes it a lot harder for a lot of members and this in turn lessens the entries. Yes, I hear the weakness of the open category that you pointed out, Macc, but on the other hand, look at how much participation it gets. I think here we could win by simply doing both, having at least 2 categories, one wide open, the other being specific.

The bottom line for me is that as long as we keep achieving the mission statement posted earlier, and keep it interesting and fresh at the same time, then the format is totally open to being shaped by the members. I'm always open to ideas, so keep them coming please. Ideas for prizes are also welcomed, though interestingly enough, during the time that we did have sponsored prizes, it didn't really change the level of participation.

More
02 Mar 2019 06:41 #74704 by Richard Hunt
I feel the photo competition is very necessary for this forum and since the majority of hikers only hike 2 - 3 times per year, the annual competition makes sense and allows photographers more time to get that perfect shot.
I would like to offer 2 of my books as prizes for the 2019 competition. 
This is the link to my book........  Spirit of the Drakensberg  
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smurfatefrog, Grandeur, Macc, Papa Dragon, GriffBaker

More
04 Mar 2019 22:13 #74715 by intrepid
Thats a fantastic offer, thank you Richard!

How about 2 annual rounds again like we had in 2018, one with an open category and the second with some sort of theme or requirement - the book prizes can go towards these? In addition we can run one bi-annual round with a more challenging theme?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Stijn, Richard Hunt, Macc

More
05 Mar 2019 09:12 #74717 by GetaPix
Kind offer Richard. Some grand images as well and certainly a book to be added to the coffee table collection on the Drakensberg.
Perhaps one can also offer like a guided hike with the focus on photography as a prize. Like so many Photo workshops being held in the mountains. There are some really good photographers lurking on this site bordering on it being a profession for them. (from the looks of it Richard being one of them)

More
07 Mar 2019 21:13 #74741 by intrepid
I propose two annual categories: one being an open category, the other being views from the escarpment, which I think is a relatively easy theme and almost everyone will have shots of that already. These categories will each awar the book prize to the winner.

For the more challenging themes, running on a bi-annual basis, I propose "Proteas" for the first round, and "Peaks and Pools" for the second round (meaning shots that include both).

:thumbsup: or :thumbsdown: ?

More