GT with a difference

02 Nov 2015 18:15 #65610 by AndrewP
GT with a difference was created by AndrewP
This is a placeholder for a trip report for an upcoming ... trip ... to the Drakensberg.

I will set off from the Sentinel Car Park this Sunday and need to meet up with Jonathan at Bushmans Neck by Thursday afternoon. I plan to stick to all but one of the speed GT rules. To keep things honest, although definitely not the same, I will substitute a rule from the x-berg challenge.

Now, it may sound strange, but I can honestly say my training for this trip is exactly zero for the last 12 months (choose your own unit of measure, be it hours, km or even mm). Before you try to compare that to the guys in BANFF, let me at least point out that not only do I know how to use my GPS, but I also know exactly where to go. Er, and the backup plan is to ditch the mess and run - and I can run further than they can swim.

I have no idea if I can pull it off, but I should have a lot of fun, and am definitely taking a camera to do the trip justice.

In the upcoming story, we will find out together:
- Is a back to back GT the answer to those messy car-related logistics?
- What will the dogs think?
- Why is the A1 part of the backup plan?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2015 19:13 #65613 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic GT with a difference
Andrew you madman! My guess is that you're breaking the "distance must be covered on foot" rule and dragging your MTB along instead??? My recommendation - you have the better part of a week to learn to ride a unicycle. It'll be much lighter to carry for the first 120km until you get to ride it for the first time on the paths behind Giant's Castle! :P

I believe Glenn Harrison has done the Northern mini traverse by bike - but I'm pretty sure you've spoken to him already...

Can't wait to read your story afterwards! Good luck :)

More
08 Nov 2015 11:09 #65698 by Stijn
I was busy trying to track Andrew on his GT MTB mission so went over to his usual tracking page (the one he used for his solo traverse): my.yb.tl/grandtraverseandrew/

No updates today, but looks like he did up Cockade down Bell Traverse and bagged the three Puddings as well yesterday. I'm guessing he left the bike at the hotel for that particular mission! :thumbsup:

More
08 Nov 2015 14:47 #65699 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic GT with a difference

Stijn wrote: looks like he did up Cockade down Bell Traverse and bagged the three Puddings as well yesterday.

Perhaps that should have been in a spoiler :laugh:

But seeing as the cat is out of the bag, here's a preview of my upcoming hike report "C is for Cockade":

For the record - he only left Didima just after 9 this morning, he is hoping to hit Pins Cave tonight. My guess is that he is probably on the escarpment now - just a question of how fast he can get down the Kubedu. :hike:

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
08 Nov 2015 15:23 #65701 by Stijn
Looks like he started just before 1pm today. Took just over 2h to get to the Chain Ladders, with the bike mostly on his back I suspect.

Tracking link is working for those who would like to follow. Looks like it's set to hourly updates. my.yb.tl/grandtraverseandrew/

More
08 Nov 2015 15:39 - 09 Nov 2015 10:06 #65702 by ghaznavid
About 3 hours of daylight left, if he hits a good trail at good pace, I guess Pins is still on, but with having to haul the bike up the Chain Ladders and up Mont-Aux-Sources, that will be an exceptional effort.

Edit: at 4 he has almost completed the climb up Mont-Aux-Sources - game on!

Day 1, 6PM update: Andrew is around the Icidi Ridge (although far inland). Pins Cave is still far away, but Rat Hole isn't far away. I wonder if he will head for it?

Day 2, 8AM update: Andrew is behind Fangs Pass now. He will need to get through Rwanqa and up the Black and Tan Wall before he hits the Cutback Highway.

Day 2, 10AM update: Andrew has hit the Cutback Highway, in no time he should be on the Senqu. He planned to hit Didima Cave tonight, looks like he is well on track for it.
Last edit: 09 Nov 2015 10:06 by ghaznavid.

More
09 Nov 2015 10:25 #65709 by Stijn
I'd be mighty impressed if he makes Didima Cave tonight. He might get a little bit of riding in on the cutback highway, up the path to the back of the Saddle, up the river behind Mlambonja Pass and down the valley behind Windsor Castle. BUT, he'll have to carry his bike up some of the steepest climbs on the traverse - Cleft Peak & Ndumeni Dome. Not to forget the Ntonjelana Ridge, Mahout & Pampiring too...

Still hasn't covered more than 5km in any single hour. Let's hope that bike becomes useful at some point! :blink:

More
09 Nov 2015 10:27 - 10 Nov 2015 08:14 #65710 by ghaznavid
Just got a message from Andrew - he will be bailing down the Senqu tomorrow. So we won't see the first back-to-back GT or cycling GT just yet. He will use the roads in Lesotho to get through to either Sani or Sehlabathebe.

A wise man once said "if you achieve all your goals on your first try, you aren't setting yourself hard enough goals".
Last edit: 10 Nov 2015 08:14 by ghaznavid.

More
09 Nov 2015 10:31 #65711 by Stijn
Ah.. pity. Well respect for trying and I'm sure he'll have some very unique photos to share! :thumbsup:

More
10 Nov 2015 08:15 #65725 by Stijn
Based on his 8am tracking point, he's certainly not coming down Rockeries. Looks like he's changed his plans for a journey down the Senqu instead? Probably to hit the road to Mokhotlong and head to Sani Pass from there.

More