Wolkberg Info Anyone?

29 Apr 2024 15:20 #79060 by JSBLANCHE
Replied by JSBLANCHE on topic Wolkberg Info Anyone?
Hallo Carl,
I’m considering the area for a 3 day hike with my son and looked at the route you marked.
Would this be possible to complete in three days?
Stefan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2024 09:40 - 30 Apr 2024 09:45 #79065 by Carl Gebhard
Replied by Carl Gebhard on topic Wolkberg Info Anyone?
Stefan good day.

For the record, I did not do that route. But lifted it off VE as others did it, here's the write up:
www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/wolkberg/55616-wolkberg-hike-report-march-2014.html

In theory yes you can do it in 3days, though as you can see their 3day turned into 4days. But there are factors like:
  1. Your strength and fitness.
  2. Your map-reading skills.
  3. Rain.
  4. Bushwacking
  5. How long you take to get there, driving.
So on point #1 no comment.
On #2 this is a popular route so there may be paths...may. See point 4.
On #3, well, it can rain like nothing you've seen up there. We were effectively rained out, solid rain for 3days, no break. This can make river crossing a nightmare, we had to backtrack and choose another ford. Do not underestimate this and make sure you read the maps correctly.
On #4, well, end of growing season, this can get tough. Fortunately we found ways but I know of folks who go there with secateurs and pangas.
On #5, the roads in, once through the first gate down at the bottom, eventually turn into a spiderweb of forestry tracks. Make time for navigation. We reached a point with like 6 roads intersecting, luckily there was a dude hanging out that showed us the way. Also, roads can get muddy and bakkie or 4x4 is recommended. They are generally in good condition coz the forestry folks look after them.

Have fun. It's quite beautiful and wild.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2024 09:45 by Carl Gebhard.

More
19 May 2024 19:11 #79095 by JSBLANCHE
Replied by JSBLANCHE on topic Wolkberg Info Anyone?
Thanks for the advice Carl.

My son and I arrived on afternoon of 1 May and completed the 39km Serala circular route from the Forest Station. It was paradise for the 3 days, the most beautiful forest trails and magnificent views. A hiking experience that I wish every trail enthusiast can experience, such jewel of our country.

Tough I made use of Wikiloc, and app that I can’t imagine hiking without, the trail is quit challenging as there are not always good path markings. This brings a fun element, especially if you have search for the best possible route.

just one piece of advise, ensure you’re very hiking fit, Day 2 ascend about 1000m in half a day.

regards,
Stefan
The following user(s) said Thank You: ASL-Bivak#, riaan300, Carl Gebhard

More