Ntonjelana Pass

17 Oct 2011 10:00 #4387 by Geordie
Geordie created the topic: Ntonjelana Pass
Can anyone please supply me with a GPS track for Ntonjelana pass .

If possible the Waypoint for the cultural Centre as well please.

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2011 10:38 #4388 by tiska
tiska replied to: Ntonjelana Pass

Geordie wrote: If possible the Waypoint for the cultural Centre as well please.

Regards

28 deg 49.166S
29 deg 6.100E
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geordie

More
17 Oct 2011 13:39 #4390 by tonymarshall
tonymarshall replied to: Ntonjelana Pass
I see there isn't a track for iNtonyelana Pass, but there are co ordinates for the top of the pass on the GPS co orinates of passes list.

We did iNtonyelana Pass two weeks ago and it is an easy route with a very clear path throughout, from the end of the road from the Cultural Centre to the top of the pass.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: may

More
17 Oct 2011 14:04 #4391 by tiska
In the early to mid 1990s, Rockeries pass started to be much more heavily used by smugglers and general traffic to and from Lesotho. The pass was tricky in places, especially for horses and donkeys and so it is suprising that Rockeries was used so heavily when Ntonjelane had until then been the traditional pass for local traffic.

Tony, is Ntonjelane still heavily used and is it used by pack animals? Has it replaced Rockeries or is there traffic on both?

More
17 Oct 2011 15:08 #4394 by tonymarshall
To my knowledge and by recent observation, both passes have heavy traffic, although I'm uncertain whether pack animals still use Rockeries Pass.

We came across several donkeys and their master quite high up while descending iNtonyelana Pass two weeks ago in the rain. They were returning to Lesotho and most were unladen or loaded with bundles of empty bags.

It also surprised me that Rockeries Pass became more popular in the 1990s, considering iNtonyelana's popularity before then.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
17 Oct 2011 15:30 - 17 Oct 2011 15:32 #4395 by tiska
Thanks for the photo. Ntonjelane does look a whole lot better for donkeys. The only thing I can think of which might explain the popularity of Rockeries is that Rockeries makes a more direct link to the big highway that more or less starts at the Mnweni cut-back. Going north on that path from Rockeries instead of Ntonjelane would save someone a few hours to half a day. I've never really worked out where that highway goes.

When I first walked Rockeries pass, the path on the river terrace leading into the Pass itself (so upstream of Scaly Cave and downstream of Nguza) was vague and quite wooden with many, many cycads. Last time I walked it, fire from dagga clearance had changed the veg to almost entirely grass.
Last Edit: 17 Oct 2011 15:32 by tiska.

More
17 Oct 2011 16:18 #4397 by Geordie
Geordie replied to: Ntonjelana Pass
Thank you all for the info. I need the track more for calculating distance on a planed "4 passes hike", and of cource, hitting the right spot if the dragons breath comes in.
Passes do change, look at Judges, many years back it was clasified as "Rock" and went up the river cource, now it's all pushed up to the left ( Going Up), fully mule compatable, and with overtaking lanes too.
Look out for more info requests on Fangs, Ifidi and Icidi.

George C

More
17 Oct 2011 18:41 #4398 by tonymarshall
A four pass Mnweni hike sounds like a fantastic challenge, enjoy it. :thumbsup:

There are gps tracks for Fangs, Ifidi and Icidi in the 'Drakensberg Passes' downloads section.

More
17 Oct 2011 19:37 #4399 by intrepid
intrepid replied to: Ntonjelana Pass
You can get the GPS tracks in this thread .

One of the reasons for the rise of Rockeries Pass a popular smuggling route may have been politics with the two tribes living in the Mnweni. At one time the locals tried to make Ntonjelana impassable for donkeys, which in turn also happened with Rockeries, and is still the case presently, yet they still persist in using it (the donkey's simply get offloaded at that point). On the Lesotho side both passes give access to the Senqu valley and ultimately Mokhotlong (same with Organ Pipes and Tlanyaku), and this is where the goods come from. The choice of exact route is not always that clear to me either. It can also be due to factions and rivalry among the smugglers themselves (apparently they are not all comrades).

It is a good thing to ask the locals for updates when hiking in a particular area. That together with your own observations keeps the rest of us informed.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
17 Oct 2011 20:05 - 18 Oct 2011 10:03 #4401 by tiska
Last Edit: 18 Oct 2011 10:03 by tiska.

More