Cave Etiquette

14 May 2009 21:16 #446 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Re:Cave Etiquette
The official recomendation by EKZNW for going to the toilet is 100m / 5 minutes from water, campsites, caves and trails. The Leave No Trace policy can be viewed here .

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2011 09:52 #3249 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Re: Cave Etiquette
Some noob Qs:
1) Is it ok to leave toilet paper in the berg, as long as its buried? I gather this decomposes

2) What do you use to boil water/heat food with if no fires at all are permitted, take along a little gas cooker?

3) (OT for this thread) Is it generally advisable to walk with a stick in the higher berg?

More
06 Jul 2011 18:43 #3280 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Re: Cave Etiquette

Smurfatefrog wrote: Some noob Qs:
1) Is it ok to leave toilet paper in the berg, as long as its buried? I gather this decomposes

Yes it is OK. Bury it properly though, nothing worse than seeing bits of toilet paper sticking out from under rocks.

2) What do you use to boil water/heat food with if no fires at all are permitted, take along a little gas cooker?

Gas or liquid fuel cookers, yes. Start new thread or add to existing ones for more discussion.

3) (OT for this thread) Is it generally advisable to walk with a stick in the higher berg?

Sticks are handy for a variety of reasons, yes, but I'm not sure why you are distinguishing between High and Little Berg? Do a search for a thread on hiking poles, there is one somewhere, and discuss more there.

More
06 Jul 2011 19:58 #3282 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Re: Cave Etiquette
Thanks Intrepid

intrepid wrote: Sticks are handy for a variety of reasons, yes, but I'm not sure why you are distinguishing between High and Little Berg? Do a search for a thread on hiking poles, there is one somewhere, and discuss more there.

Was referring to steeper sections rather then meaning the high berg/escarpment

More
07 Jul 2011 15:57 #3287 by intrepid
Hiking poles are a matter of preference, but I find them useful on a variety of terrain, not just steep sections. Please carry on with any pole discussion on this thread .

More
12 Jul 2011 05:51 #3299 by Hermann
Replied by Hermann on topic Re:Cave Etiquette
hiall
On cave etiquette and generally hiking...I cant believe that some hikers can be so messy,from Injisuthi camp all the way past battle cave i picked up sweet wrappers,tissues etc. Arriving at Lower Inj cave to make some tea i noticed that there has been fires made and the ussual trash. At Marble Baths i planned to camp at the camp spot and there also was a mess and someone did their bussiness there and just placed a rock on top of it! I went up to the cave and same there,papers and around the corner a lot of used toilet paper!

Last week I did the Cathedral route and same thing....stopping at Shermans cave for a snack...ziplock bags,empty gas cannister and sweet papers...also on the trail there was crap.The worst i saw was 3 weeks ago at the base of Sterkhorn (we always camp on little spot just above contour path)Someone dumped all their trash in the bush,its overnight hikers.
What is it just to through your papers/trash in a bag and in your pack. I get so frustrated !!! Not just Pine trees and Basotho littering....but our own kind

More
12 Jul 2011 15:44 #3303 by intrepid
It really bugs me too Hermann, especially when people go to the toilet right on the trail or in or near a cave. I can't stand it! We can make a difference by nurturing values in a thread like this, and then passing it on to people we meet on the trail.

More
12 Jul 2011 19:22 #3307 by intrepid
An idea just occurred to me which I'd like to bounce off you guys.

In the days when Everest expeditions started becoming popular, the sanitation around Base Camp was poor. There was no co-ordination or control of where one should go to the toilet and where one should collect water. As a result things were messy and people also got sick from the water. These days the control is much better and an awareness of where latrines should be vs fresh water supply.

Do you think it is viable to identify and demarcate areas where one should go (or not go) to the toilet around popular caves and campsites? This can be done by creating maps and/or labelling images of the area. One could also build special cairns, different from the normal ones, to mark these areas. Naturally this idea is very dependant on awareness, education and co-operation among hikers, and this takes time and perseverance. And not everyone will know about it or bother with it, in spite of every effort, that is being realistic.

To be free to camp wherever you want and go to the toilet anywhere is a privilege we cannot take for granted. There are several places in the world where a strict policy is in place for carrying out your own business with you. And, for example, in the Canadian Rockies and other popular places in Canada, you cannot simply camp where you wish. There are special campsites which you have to use, and they have latrines where everything is collected in a big barrel, which is disposed of properly when full. Something to think about.

More
06 Sep 2011 13:52 - 06 Sep 2011 13:54 #3943 by intrepid
Something I encounter very often in cave: teabags. What's with that?
1. They don't decompose quickly, especially in a cave.
2. It is grose and unsightly for the next visitors.
3. It doesn't belong there.

Don't do it!
And don't try hide it under the grass or under the rocks in the cave either!

Last edit: 06 Sep 2011 13:54 by intrepid.

More
06 Sep 2011 16:36 #3945 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Re: Cave Etiquette
The worst has to be the toilet in Bannerman Hut, wow that thing stinks.

More