Twins Cave

04 Oct 2022 12:14 #78027 by supertramp
Replied by supertramp on topic Twins Cave
@Bergattie, thanks for clarifying. A google search would have steered me right to the answer 

This image is hidden for guests.

I obviously dont know my s#@&t 

This image is hidden for guests.

​​​​​​Have never seen so many dassies in one place before though. They were everywhere! 

Point is that we move through Twins quite frequently and the situation is definitely getting worse. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2022 13:39 #78028 by BergAttie
Replied by BergAttie on topic Twins Cave
Definitely not what it used to be. The Annex will have to be occupied and condition desperate before I settle in the bottom part of the main cave.

More
27 Apr 2023 14:56 #78485 by matroskinn
Replied by matroskinn on topic Twins Cave
Hello. 

Has anyone been to Twins Cave recently and can confirm that there is still water dripping in it? If water is not dripping in the cave, what is the closest water source to these caves? We'll be hiking in from Cathedral Peak via Bell Traverse this Saturday and we'll fill up at that waterfall not far from the start of the Cathedral Peak trail but I remember from hiking this trail and reading somewhere here that there aren't any sources of water between the waterfall and Cathedral Peak. Is there any water on the Bell Traverse itself this time of year?

More
28 Apr 2023 07:07 #78488 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Twins Cave
I doubt there will be a drip in the cave at the moment. Easiest is to head down the gully (Twins pass) in front of the cave, after about 50m elevation down look out for a little ledge on your left, there is usually a trickle coming down there, otherwise you may need to descend further

More
02 May 2023 09:12 #78492 by BergAttie
Replied by BergAttie on topic Twins Cave
Best is to take 3 liters and to assume you will find no water. If you are lucky you can find water in the valley leading up to Cathedral Peaks base/Bugger gulley. It is worth while to listen for drips lower down when you reach this valley. Worst case scenario is to leave your packs at Twins cave and to head up to the stream in the valley in Lesotho just below the escarpment. It is probably a 2 km hike taking about 1 hour.

More
05 May 2023 12:00 #78507 by matroskinn
Replied by matroskinn on topic Twins Cave
I just came back from the hike and can confirm that Twins Cave has no usable drip in it right now. There were two other similar drips along the Bell Traverse. The river on the escarpment is still flowing and there are many smaller streams that still have some water in them between Twins Cave and Tugela Falls.  

More